Bike Toolbox

Weight Weenie

I literally buy dozens of toolkits each year and I wish the local distributors would jack up their offering. This month they have X in stock and next month it is Y. It makes it impossible for me to fix the price of my courses.

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>A pet hate of mine is a "presentation case". This is some cheap plastic case that was made for one purpose only and that is to hold only the tools that come with it. The first time you buy another tool, the case is obsolete. Most of these cases, the fancy ones from BBB or the el- cheapo ones from BBB's rip-off namesake, make it so difficult to take out and replace tools that you need two hands to squeeze the tool back into its little custom-fitted niche.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>I've now resorted to tool rolls. I make a nice canvas general purpose tool roll that can hold everything and more. I kit this out with a best-of-breed selection from various suppliers.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>Although a kit is the cheapest way to start, no one company makes a great kit that contains best-of-breed tools. Park stuff is nice, but their casette crackers and BB tools require separate spanners to turn. BBB's crackers have built-on levers which I like.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>Yet, BBB kits come with a crappy chain measure tool a rubbish spoke spanner and some brushes that are worthless.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>Kits also pose a problem for Campag owners in that the cassette cracker is usually Shimano rather than Campag.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>I will never spend big money again on Park cable cutters. They're uncomfortable and clumsy and in spite of the price, no better than some other cheaper ones.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>I've given up on good chain breakers. My students break them. I now buy cheapies and consider them disposable.</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

Johan, you say you prefer the tools that have a built in handle.

Been looking at those versus the seperate pieces like you mentioned. I understand the convenience factor, but how does one then ensure the part ie. external bb cup or lockring is torqued correctly or is this only an issue with the small bolts on stems and such ?

• 8 months later...