Aussie cyclist paralysed

Chrispy

Aussie cyclist paralysed
17/11/2006 09:46  - (SA)  

Sydney - A top Australian cyclist who was knocked off his bike in a freak accident in New Zealand last weekend may never walk again after being paralysed.

Paul Crake, a member of the Australian team for the 2004 world road championship, was among a group of riders knocked off their bikes by a powerful wind gust during a race in New Zealand.

Crake underwent surgery in Christchurch but has been unable to move his legs and doctors say the paralysis may be permanent.

"They're not saying never but I mean it's serious and obviously only time will tell," ACT Cycling Federation president Steve Blair told the New Zealand Press Association.

"From the moment he regained consciousness he hasn't been able to feel his legs and it's likely that he won't regain the use of his legs."

Crake's parents, Peter and Elizabeth, released a statement in Australia saying their son was alert and aware of his situation.

"Despite the brutality of the situation Paul has been spared and we still have our son. He is still very much the Paul that everybody knows, loves and admires," the statement read.

Before switching to cycling in 2002, Crake was a stairclimbing champion.

He had five straight victories in the annual sprint to the top of New York's Empire State Building between 1999 and 2003 and still holds the record for the fastest ascent of the 86 flights of stairs (1576 stairs) of nine minutes 33 seconds.

sh*t I ignored this topic for a while - now that I read the name, he's a good rider and I've read before about his stair climbing fame....very sad, especially for a pro athlete......lets hope for the best.