Power Stats - Meyerton (Mass Start)

bruce

Meyerton:
Duration:  01:59:37
Work:      1996 kJ
TSS:       172.6 (intensity factor 0.93)
Norm Power:316
VI:        1.14
Pw:HR:      3.96%
Pa:HR:      11.44%
Distance:  81.289 km
MinMaxAvg
Power:       0985278watts
Heart Rate:  79171150bpm
Cadence:     3117881rpm
Speed:       470.940.8kph
Pace         00:5115:0001:28min/km
Hub Torque:  037.38.6N-m
Crank Torque:0138.133.6N-m

Guest colonel

Bruce:

It has yout TSS (intensity factor) at 0.93 what scale isthis measured on? ie: 2 being a max intensity and 0.50 being a real easy ride.

Bruce:

It has yout TSS (intensity factor) at 0.93 what scale isthis measured on? ie: 2 being a max intensity and 0.50 being a real easy ride.

colonel - by defintion an IF of 1 would be the max power you can sustain for an hour. That would correlate with your Lac Thresh. SO .. everything is measured from your own power reading. So Bruce racing at an IF of .93 indicates quite a hard race.

Cuzzie, I'm going to swallow hard and give you my understanding since

the self appointed Hub High Priest of Power isn't responding...Geek

IF is a ratio of Normal Power to the riders Threshold Power. Therefore

we can reverse engineer what Bruce has entered as his FTP in his

cycling peaks by doing the following calculation:

Let Normal Power = x, Threshold = y.

IF = x / y. Solve for y.

So multiply both sides by y thus...

y.IF = x

multiplyboth sides by 1/IF thus...

y = x / IF

y = 316 / 0.93

y = 339.78w

So back to your question, 1 = 1 hour TT effort and the simple answer would be that he was riding at 93% (IF 0.93) of his 1 hour TT effort...

Please don't crucify me if I'm wrong... Ouch

Ive never seen higher than 150% and that effort is only sustainable for say 2 -3 min max. And 0,5 is nearly falling off your bike. No -- just joking. But it would be a very very easy recovery kinda ride

EDIT: 150% would translate to an IF of 1,5. SO ... if your IF is 2 ... you seriously need retesting to adjust your power level from where all calculations are done.
Ronelle2008-09-07 08:00:25

Guest colonel

SO in Colonel terms he was kaking off! (I think)

Cool thanks guys.

SO in Colonel terms he was kaking off! (I think)

uh-huh! LOL

He will probably post a report on his blog, and his race reports make great reading! So you should be able to hear from there how IF 0.93 sounds!

Guest colonel

Snot out the nose and all that stuff. Yip I know the feeling.

LOL

Yip it was a hard ride!

I just need to spend an hour working out Pantani's Higher Grade mathematics!!

Pantani - saw you after the turn, looked like you were taking it easy! Disapprove

Cuzzie' date=' I'm going to swallow hard and give you my understanding since the self appointed Hub High Priest of Power isn't responding...Geek

IF is a ratio of Normal Power to the riders Threshold Power. Therefore we can reverse engineer what Bruce has entered as his FTP in his cycling peaks by doing the following calculation:

Let Normal Power = x, Threshold = y.

IF = x / y. Solve for y.
So multiply both sides by y thus...
y.IF = x
multiplyboth sides by 1/IF thus...
y = x / IF
y = 316 / 0.93
y = 339.78w

So back to your question, 1 = 1 hour TT effort and the simple answer would be that he was riding at 93% (IF 0.93) of his 1 hour TT effort...

Please don't crucify me if I'm wrong... Ouch

[/quote']

10/10 Clap

Pantani - saw you after the turn' date=' looked like you were taking it easy! Disapprove
[/quote']

Rode with a friend, was his first road race... But after we turned I had 50 fun riders sit my wheel back to the finish...

Guest colonel

Bruce: Ronelle says that she hasnt seen higher of 1,5 for 2-3min but I would guess that is local folks data. On someone like the suckers on Quickstep who work for Boonen and are sent to the front to bring a break back or are fighting for their lives in a gutter etc what would thir IF be and if it is a 1,5 would they be able to hold it longer than say 2-3min?

Bruce: Ronelle says that she hasnt seen higher of 1' date='5 for 2-3min but I would guess that is local folks data. On someone like the suckers on Quickstep who work for Boonen and are sent to the front to bring a break back or are fighting for their lives in a gutter etc what would thir IF be and if it is a 1,5 would they be able to hold it longer than say 2-3min?[/quote']

The power levels are explained nicely here: http://www.cyclingpeaks.com/power411/levels.asp#table2

Everything is based on your functional threshold power - which is defined as the maximum sustainable power for approx 1 hour.   This comes from 1 hour being the typical duration of a 40km TT.

Functional threshold power corresponds closely to your power at lactate threshold.

When you go above this power, the duration you can sustain this intensity drops off rapidly.  15% above this power is sustainable for 5 - 8 min, 50% above this power is sustainable for around 1 min.

The only difference between a pro, and an amateur is how high that ftp number is.  Doesn't matter who you are, you can't do 15% above your FTP for longer than about 5 mins - this is the way the body works.

So, IF is a relative number.  An IF of 1 for 60minutes hurts the same for an amateur rider as a pro - it results in exhaustion.  It's just that a pro could be doing 450w and an amateur 250w.

Just saying, regardless whether you a Pro or an amateur, to ride 1.5 IF for 2 minutes is a massive ask...

Pantani2008-09-07 09:23:31