Polar vitality points and garmin

longweasel

Just bought a garmin 305.I'm seriously enjoying it. Before I bought, no seriously before I bought it i phoned discovery vitality to check if they would do something about the vitality on the garmin. They said talk to Garmin. I did, Garmin was seriously unhelpful and didn't want to take it any further. Does anyone have any similar experience or am I just misinformed. I know the vitality points are trivial but i have been adding them up. I seriously don't want to ride with two straps. smiley36.gif

Trivial?

Hah! But yeah, it all depends on the partnerships that are made between corporations etc... If there was enough pressure to include Garmin on the list of partners, I'm sure something would be done. However, seeing as there is a relatively small (compared to Polar) following on the Garmin side of things, there will always be a problem. Also might be an agreement between Disco & Polar regarding Polar being the only HR monitoring tech that has exposure to Vitality (eg: PnP on the discount side of things)

But I see your point... exercise is exercise, and HR over 2 hours will be the same whether on Garmin or Polar... 

One of the main reasons why I haven't considered replacing my ageing and temperamental Polar.  The Garmin is a great toy but I like those 15000 points I can accumulate with my Polar.

do some races and log them via sa- active.. 15 000 points and bonus 500 points by may.... puts heart monitors, gym in the shade when it comes to racking up points

yip... that sure is a good reason to keep it...

But then you can just get a Polar that has the capability of cadence and altitude etc (x 725?), or the cycling specific ones as well... might have been a better option (i don't know - never compared them to the Garmin. I just have a polar for my HR and a Sigma for the cadence, speed etc so i can use the polar for running, gym and hiking as well)

oh, and the points will help you with extra discount at PnP as well...

Finally some people who know how to use it! Log any race. Road, mtb or running, you get points. Fitness assessment (done at accredited biokineticist) which you can claim back from med aid savings... 7500 points a time and you can do 2 a year... HIV test - 5000 points. Stop smoking - 5000 points. Online tests, up to 9500 points, overnight.

Easy!

to be fair i did use to work at a dsy company... but yes, its easier when you actually read the material!

I reckon Garmin needs to get involved too... If enough people put pressue on them, I'm sure they will notice and at least give a good reason why they don't do it!!

However, Polar has a great marketing pitch over Garmin in this case... "Here, buy a Polar and get Vitality points", as a Discovery Vitality member... That's going to mean something to you!!

Will be cool to see where this topic goes!!

Why don't we start a petition and hand it to the medical aids so that they can get Garmin onboard as a partner. Afterall Garmin is here to stay and probably the next best thing to sliced white breadCool

do some races and log them via sa- active.. 15 000 points and bonus 500 points by may.... puts heart monitors' date=' gym in the shade when it comes to racking up points[/quote']

Of course, but its 15,000 points for 3 events, 5,000 bonus points for an additional two, PLUS 15,000 bonus points per 30 minute exercise where av HR > 70%.  It would be hard to give up the additional 15,000 bonus points for using my Polar.

Because Polar will always be the most recognised HR monitor...

Speed, cadence & time might be a different option in terms of registering excercise. But then again, probably a "single company agreement" in place as Polar monitors can do all that as well.

As for the fact that Garmin are here to stay - yes, they are. But so are Woolworths and Disco don't partner with them anymore (a little fact that their credit card was doing better that the in-house woolies one) and PnP is the only food partner...

Just a thought...

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11"><>

Hi, The answer i got from discovery is that they had an

agreement with Polar and that would get back to us? Garmin". I will revisit

this with them and point them to the forum, maybe they have changed there

minds. I will keep you posted. Jason Theunissen, Sales Director, Avnic Trading,

Garmin Distributor Southern Africa.

do some races and log them via sa- active.. 15 000 points and bonus 500 points by may.... puts heart monitors' date=' gym in the shade when it comes to racking up points[/quote']

Of course, but its 15,000 points for 3 events, 5,000 bonus points for an additional two, PLUS 15,000 bonus points per 30 minute exercise where av HR > 70%.  It would be hard to give up the additional 15,000 bonus points for using my Polar.

Sorry, just to correct.

It's 150 bonus points for 30 minutes of excercise above 70% avg HR... and only one session per day.

Just had to correct that.

Otherwise, all correct. Max base fitness points you can accrue (per person) is 15000. Bonus goes above that value.

Sorry' date=' just to correct.

It's 150 bonus points for 30 minutes of excercise above 70% avg HR... and only one session per day.

Just had to correct that.

[/quote']

To correct the correction Smile, it's 50 bonus points for >70% Avg. + 100 normal points for >60%

You can get a maximum of 30,000 fitness points (15,000 normal, 15,000 bonus). All gym activities, races, Polar stuff, fitness assesments come out of the same pot.

Probably the easiest way to max out the fitness points is to do your two fitness assesments for the year. You get 2 x 7,500 normal points just for doing them and can get 2 x 7,500 bonus points for being at level 5 which doesn't seem to hard to achieve.

Yeah, i thought about that while i was on the bog. Was just wondering if i should correct myself or wait for someone to do it for me.

Nice one EdMan

Point is though - p1ss easy to get points!