STOLEN BIKE MARKET

Spartikus

Bikejacking!!! Would you mico dot your bike for recoveri?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Bikejacking!!! Would you mico dot your bike for recoveri?

• YES
    • NO
    • MAYBE

Dotty and Spartikus, can you guys provide a recovery statistic at all? How am I supposed to trust a product (even though it's not expensive) if you can't provide some kind of 'In 2007 x amount of things got stolen and y amount were recovered'?

Also, I'm looking at your site and I'm quite keen on the Recoveri Trace product. Does this work with RFID or cellphone technology? What is the range on the transmitter? How many receivers do you have in Gauteng? What kind of coverage is there? Is the unit small enough to fit on a bike, say in the handlebar? What's the monthly cost? I would be interested to have both my cars fitted as well, if I think the product is good enough.

I'm not trying to give you guys hell, I'm just trying to convince myself f your product is worth going for.

The idea is also to dot your bike, TV etc with a few dots in different places i,e seat, frame, bars, cranks and wheels so each part is market. there are 3000 dots in a bottle so you can go crazy if you like.

A nice feature is if you sell the bike, the net guy registers a new profile on the site and that bike goes to his asset register.

Question: is there a possibility the thieves are destroying the bikes and selling them as scrap metal?

I doubt it. Scrap metal goes by weight, and I doubt a bike would a fetch big amount. Unless it gets taken on an uphill. Mine normally feels at least 30kg heavier on a hill! LOL

Hi Hog. The Recoveri stats are small as the microtagged assets aren't being stolen. For example Meridian Insurance (Durban) Microdotted Taxis (yea the enemy) because insurance theft claims were going through the roof. The owners were pinching each other's vehicles for spare parts. The claims due to theft on that group of taxis reduced by 70% after the microdotting.

The RFID tag is used on motor vehicles, quad bikes, ski-boats and motor bikes (R69-00 per month no contract). The tag is the size of a credit card and about 10 mm thick. Currently a bit big for bikes. They are developing one a bit smaller (the size of a R5 coin) which can be used for bicycles, TV's, notebook computers etc (this is about 18 months away from dev) about R30-00 per month subscription. The current network is spread out Nationally and uses the Tracetec infrastructure. (Fully insurance approved) The guy to contact is Rob at sales@recoveri.net

This is one of the ways that society and communities can fight back; if nobody buys stolen goods because they are too hot to handle, thieves won't steal. Basic economics "Supply and Demand" - If there is no demand; supply dwindles Smile