tubeless unconversion

Mr T

Hi. Can a tubeless conversion be removed and standard tyres and tubes used again. If i want to go back to tubeless, can the same liner be used again or must a new conversion kit be used. Im trying to decide between the two options now. If you do get a flat with tubeless how easy is it to fix roadside. thanks

Hi. Can a tubeless conversion be removed and standard tyres and tubes used again. If i want to go back to tubeless' date=' can the same liner be used again or must a new conversion kit be used. Im trying to decide between the two options now. If you do get a flat with tubeless how easy is it to fix roadside. thanks [/quote']

1.)yes it can

2.)yes it can

3.)wel tubeless is supposed to seal roadside punctures.... if its bigger you can always plug it....

and if its a big cut just put a R10 note inbetween the cut and the tube you fitting.....

Thanks. Got a wheelset the other day with a conversion but needing new tyres. Cant afford the ust tyres now,so just wanted to make sure that I would not be destroying the conversion if I used normal tyres and tubes in the meantime.

Strictly speaking it is called a de-conversion. ;-)

If you use Stan's rim strips, you'll notice that they take on a new shape after a conversion. The rubber is soft and since the strip never sits perfectly under the tyre, you'll see that it ends up in a strange shape upon de-conversion. It's a little bit like sitting naked for an hour on one of those old-fashioned steel mesh garden chairs that are so in fashion in Benoni nowadays. Your backside ends up looking like a braai.

Those marks on your ass are collectively known as "kettering".

To remove the kettering from your Stan's strip, you simply soak it in very hot water for a while.

However, no-one uses Stan's strips anymore, it is sooooo establishment.  Good MTBers nowadays use filleted BMX tubes.

When doing a de-conversion, you first have to remove all the thorns suck in your tyre for obvious reasons.

I use in sulation tape and tubeless valves. I have not been let down in two years.

I had a flat today but that was because the stand was old and non existant in the tire. 1 year old Stans does not seem to want to seal any more. Esp. if there is only about 5ml left in the tyre.

Ps I am even using a standard not Tubless tyre on the front.

I am a bit hesitant to use it on the back with my weight and a sidewall slash I got a while ago. But on the front there is no issue as I can plan where the front whhel goes 99% of the time.

My 2ZAR's

Thanks for the help. Turns out that the rims are tubeless so I only had to remove the valves. Alot simplier than I thought it would be. Thinking about trying out using normal tyres as tubeless. Any recomendations on which slime works the best. 

Mr T2008-11-09 09:26:33