Tyre Liners

FasterThanFast

They can also cause punctures. Be very careful to make the end of the tyre liner smooth, otherwise that ends up wearing a hole in your tube.

IMHO, on the road, rather invest in better tyres. On the mtb, go tubeless.

I can guarantee you you will have more punctures untill you sort it out. An when you need to change a flat in a race and the thing is all over the place you will rip it out and leave it on the side of the road.

i have been using them for about 3-4 months, haven't had a single puncture. they are heavy though smiley11.gif

Use to have it in my training wheels... who cares about the weight when you training... rather than wasting time fixing flats next to the road... Think I had mine in for over 2 years and never got a flat... justed picked the pieces of glass out the tire once in a while...  Just get someone who knows what they are doing to put it in the first time... But i know allot of people dont like it!

i had liners in my old schwinn mesa - the bike was so heavy that the weight of the liners was negligible. gotta admit it was lekker not getting as many punctures as other peeps

Okay, so if weight is not a problem, then just get slime tubes and you will not need to worry about punctures either.

Fasterthanfast

These okes carry on about weight like it is THE cardinal sin. Let's put that weight into perspective. You probably weigh say 70 kg. The bike is around 9kg. Total weight you have to drag around 79kg, plus you have a bottle or two of water / energy drink, plus a spare tube, some tyre levers (Plastic to save weight), some solution and a few spare patches. So we're talking another 1.7 kg all told. Will the extra 200g that you carry for tyre liners really make such a difference on 81.7kg?

We are talking about tyre liners being an extra 0.02454%

So, the real issue is not weight. I have used tyre liners on my roadie for a number of years. At first, they worked well (inserted them myself) and then I changed bikes,so I gave my old ones to the teeny (teenage son) and bought myself new ones. They also worked well for some time. Lately, though, I have noticed that, particularly with cheaper tubes, they do tend to abrade holes onto the tubes and they now cause more punctures than they prevent.

I have subsequently ripped them out and flung into some far corner of my garage. I found that I used to get a puncture about every 45 to 60 km with them and the punctures were cuased by the liners themselves. I even went so far as to cut a piece of an old tube and used this to cover the overlapping edges of the tyre liner to prevent chaffing.

Still doesn't work.

Answer, they work for a bit, but in the long run, they were more frustration than they were worth. Conclusion, don't bother.

Since I have chucked them,I have had zero punctures in just on 900 km.

Better quality tubes will in any event be heavier than the cheapies so what difference? Tyre liners do not prevent snake-bite (or bump-through punctures.)

They are a pain to ensure that they are not all twisted up inside the tyre when you do have a puncture and frustrate for more than one reason.

They also tend to effect handling and balance problems on the wheels.

Hope this is a more scientific and realiable reason not to use them. The weight issue is a complete misnomer.

I have tyre liners on my training wheels (road) and also those tubes from Kenda with the pre-inserted slime. Started riding with it in May and havn't had one puncture since then. It's heavy, I know, but when I go do races with my racing wheels it feels like a dream!!Big%20smile

Tyre liners are the way to go. I've only had two flats is eight years, and those two times were large thorns that got onto the road.

Slave2 love

i was thinking the same ting bout weight.

well i went out and bought the stuff R60 and a tube of bostik

they going into my mtb wheels (7 punctures in yesterdays race) all thorns.

got home and put them on the scale. they are 72gr each.

bostik'd them in lightly. nice tight fit, no overlap.

i stood in Olympic with a Stans kit in my hand, ready to pay

and Jason asks me. " hey now wot bout all your other tires" yes i have 5 pairs ao different sizes and tread patterns. one wet set, one dry XC set, crossmarks, Geax. and Bontragers.  

so it means everytime i decied to do some rough stuff, its change the tires and sealant and all the K@K process over and over again...

its just a big lus....

So now the liners are in and i must say

to the weight weenis out there, my bikes now 4.5kg heavier.

i wonder if any of them realises that the liners weigh less than a morning crap.

4.5 kg heavier??????? Juslaaik jy het nie nodig gehad om so baja bostik in te sit nie!!!!!!