Cassette Ratios

Roons

I need some help in cassette ratio's.

I recently purchased two 11-32 cassettes - my bike is currently fitted with an 11-34.

How big will the difference be, especially on hill climbs ? Is it worth worrying about?

Cheers

No need to worry! If you need a 34-granny combination you're probably better of pushing anyway. A further plus is the fact that the jump between gears are less noticable with the 11-32!

Nothing to worry about. You can climb stairs with a granny and a 32.

I made myself a little spreadsheet to see exactly what combination of crank/cassette gives what speed at what cadence.

Cassette tooth count:

aqas

Typical crank combinations:

The gear ratio is simply the crank teeth count divided by the cassette gear teeth count.

To work out the typical speed at a given cadence:

cadence x wheel circ (i use 2.068m) x gear ratio x 60 / 1000

BigGuy2009-01-07 07:54:30

11-34 is good for starting out or perhaps mixing with the Double Chain ring option some MTB'ers are going for.

If however you have a decent level of cycle fitness the 11-32 is the right cassette to have, the 34 tooth granny gear selection is not worth the speed you'll get, as Fulmenicius said you can push faster.

I must say when starting out I pondered switching over to the 11-34 tooth option on almost every super steep climb. Now I like my 32 tooth and tend to use it and the small chainring very infrequently.