Ceramic BB on MTB

Roons

I am looking at replacing my BB some time soon and would like to know if it is worth spending the extra and getting a ceramic Bottom Bracket?

I am looking at the following: FSA Light Ceramic Bearing Mega Exo - is it worth it?

If not what is a good quality/value for money BB?

Thanks

Roons

What is wrong with your current/original BB?

I doubt that you will feel that much difference with the ceramic bearings and aren't they generally a little more precious and require more care and attention?

In my opinion, they wouldn't be worth the extra cash. But I have never ridden with them, so what do I know?

That will be a very silly move.

Ceramic bearings as used on bicycles are hybrid bearings. One half of the bearing (the race) is steel and the other half (the balls) are ceramic.

BBs fail because of water intrusion. Your precious little ceramic BB will still rust, even if the balls will be intact. It's like dying with a perfectly good liver. What's the use of that?

Ceramic bearings are BS on bicycles.

I don't think the cost to perceived benefit is worth it. From what I have seen in other forums/reviews they are able to be fractionally lighter, they do (the balls) wear less than steel, they potentially provide a smidgen less friction, not enough for us mortals to detect, apparently are harder than steel.