suspension seatposts? Yes / No

JPW#

My question is for the hubbers who ride suspention seatposts,or those who hated riding them, why should I consider buying one and why should'nt I.

I agree with avatar the seat hight change the whole time,and it seems as if you bob up and down,cant be to comfortable.

I think I want to hear what JB has to say, I better go get my brothers engineering textbooks to look up the "big words" )   rear wheel traction must be less with a sus seatpost vs a full sus frame, just thought about that too. mmmm

But so does a full sus frame I guess' date=' think about it...up and down up and down ) [/quote']

Suppose you are right,didint think my comment through.

Just thinking the changing seat height must play havok on the knees.

Or wouldint it matter.

why do you want it?

for a softer ride?

cause I cant see that it will better handling?

I know its ALOt more expensive, but rather get a full sus..

But so does a full sus frame I guess' date=' think about it...up and down up and down )

[/quote']

Rear suspension does not alter your saddle position.

With a full susser, the distance between your saddle and the BB stays constant. With a suspension seatpost it definitely changes all the time.

As somebody with knee problems, I can imagine that this is NOT a good thing.

Yes your BB to seat post height is changing all time with a full suss saddle. Rather go rear shock - obviously the costs are more, but I am sure a better way to go.

NO' date='it changes your seat height the whole time![/quote'] This is 100% true. It is a complete waste of money in my opinion.

My question is for the hubbers who ride suspention seatposts' date='or those who hated riding them, why should I consider buying one and why should'nt I. [/quote']

Pro's - Makes a HT more comfortable.

Cons - Adds some weight, and seat height issues.

I used an alien suspension seat post and loved it when having to contend with corrugations, veld and any other sh*tty liitle bumps which make it difficult / uncomfortable to stay seated on a HT. More suitable for marathon type events than technical XC racing events.

For technical type courses it was not ideal as you need to set the seat height slightly higher than normal to compensate for sag when seated.

This higher than normal seat position tends to get in the way when going down step inclines etc...

Never experianced any problems with my knees, IMO if you set the seat height correctly taking into a/c the sag then you wont have problems due to a low seat height.

If you decide to buy one, buy the best you can afford so as to save weight and to get one that works smoothly.

I used a Thudbuster before I got my DS, mainly as I ride a lot on corregated roads, and roads with loose gravel. They aren't cheap, but it made a huge difference in the comfort of the ride. So long as they are set up properly, they give no problems, but if you are a weight weenie, it is heavy, about 600g.