Simple, effective, affordable disc-brakes?

darnijl

I want to buy disc brakes.

The cheapest out there, but still hydraulic.

I've heard of Hayes-9 and Avid Juicy 3.

Are there others?

Which ones are affordable but still hydraulic?

But then again,

Are hydraulic brakes worth the extra money or should I get mechanical disc brakes?

Can you still buy mechanical disc brakes new?

darnijl2009-01-13 15:23:51

Why do you need discs so badly? V-brakes, if setup correctly and with the right pads are also very good.

Otherwise, there was a pair of Magura Gustavs for sale not long ago. They're quite old, but that would also make them cheep-cheep.

Dont even consider mechanicals. Once you have experienced hydraulic brakes you will never look back. I had a Specialized Stumpjumper which came with Shimano Deore hydraulics. Before I got the bike I was thinking that the brakes were the first thing i was going to upgrade.

Well I had the bike for 3 years, 1 brutal Epic, countless races and thousands of Km's and the only servicing was replacing the pads. They never faded, squealled, shuddered no matter what the circumstance. I was very impressed.

My previous Trek had Hayes which never impressed me, tended to fade when hot.

My new current Stumpy has Juicy's on and they are also impressive.

If you can, hold out and spend the extra on hydraulics and seriously look at the Shimano's or Avids.

Dont even consider mechanicals. Once you have experienced hydraulic brakes you will never look back. I had a Specialized Stumpjumper which came with Shimano Deore hydraulics. Before I got the bike I was thinking that the brakes were the first thing i was going to upgrade.

Well I had the bike for 3 years' date=' 1 brutal Epic, countless races and thousands of Km's and the only servicing was replacing the pads. They never faded, squealled, shuddered no matter what the circumstance. I was very impressed.

My previous Trek had Hayes which never impressed me, tended to fade when hot.

My new current Stumpy has Juicy's on and they are also impressive.

If you can, hold out and spend the extra on hydraulics and seriously look at the Shimano's or Avids.[/quote']

Isn't is amasing how diffenrent we experience the world we life in? I had a "V"brake setup and I was very satisfied with the dead stopping ability, but I decided to change the bike and got a hydraulic setup from Shimano. What a pain!Dead

The are constantly binding and the only way I manage to ride was to make the caliper floating! I can already hear the responces from this but my LBS tried, after I did and still the fix only last until the first hard brake. Therafter it becomes the same old frustrating issue on an otherwise very nice bike. I spoke to the technical guys at my LBS and they told me that the local support on Shimano is not the same as the competition from say the Avid camp. It was just the last straw. I am changing as soon as I can afford them.

BTW my "V"brake bike were 15km/h faster in the same conditions than the disk brake job. Now, imagine pedalling constantly against this un-necessary resistance ALL the time!!