Sunday afternoon ride

Serendipity

I had the most epic of Sunday afternoon mountain bike rides yesterday. As most really special rides, this one was mostly unplanned. Unplanned as in where do you want to ride to - I don't know - lets go there - type of thing.

We decided eventually on a punishing climb up to the old George dam, via the top contour road, and back along the bottom one. It was just a perfect ride. We climbed hard, explored a new section of single track we have never ridden, and had a hair raising descent down to the dam. Had a few falls, one particular one, going over the handlebars refuses to part from memory.

Going back along the contour road at the bottom we started to up the pace and ended up racing back home. We raced each other and the sun.

We ended up getting back home just as the sun was giving up the fight, bruised, tired, bleeding but smiling. In all we the Garmin measured 700 metres of vertical climb, in 30 km of riding.

This is why I ride a mountain bike.

• 4 weeks later...