different wheel sets??????

Jon0

what diffrence would getting a good set of wheels make to my racing?

i currently ride american classic cr420,what wheels would u say are good and how much time and effort will they save me for a 100km race.?

thanks alot
Jon02009-05-03 11:18:01

depends what you can spend on them...

2nd hand zipps - R8000

lightweights - R45000

I really dont know what difference they make in reality but hey...

I used to be in the wheelsmake a difference camp, but I'm now firmly in the Johan Bornman camp of light enough is light enough and strong enough is strong enough.

within this belief are dogma's that I still cling to though. I firmly believe that hand built wheels are the best, with the exception of very few boutique wheels which seem to at leat match hand built wheels for reliability and quality.

Depsection aero wheels willmake zero difference to your racing except for the placebo effect that you're riding on zooty wheel's. These seem to be embodied with a sinister 3rd force that makes you believe you are good whilst still being totally crap.

these days, price, convenience and who I'm keeping in employment isa greater factor in my choice of wheels than the name printed in very large stickers on the sidewall.

well who do you believe?

The guy who did 100 hrs in a wind tunnel and found that above 40km/hr you save 1 second per kilometer....?

Firstly can you sustain >40km/hr on your own and for how many kilometers?

I think you find that you're wasting your money on aero wheels...

but if everyone else has them and im still on the am 42o,s then im at a disadvantage......

like that easton tempest 2 for 8500 that good????

and any others?

hed stingers?

rather get ceramic bearings... makes them roll faster.

CR420s are aero wheels but with a shallow depth. So you not at a disadvantage.

Ceramic bearings are the way to go

true..... if i were to upgrade....what wheels would u people recommend?

If you got the cash at Hand ide say WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING WITHOUT DEEPS?!?!?!?!?

I put on the eastons on my training bike and felt the most amazing difference.

Weight is better (they tubbies) and the biggest thing i find is the acceloration. Probable wouldnt be able to keep up with or initiate my own breaks without them! They are my prized possession and sleep with me in my room (rest of stuff in dusty garage)

What category are you?

true..... if i were to upgrade....what wheels would u people recommend?

Easton EA 70

Easton EA 90SL or SLX

Well made, excellent weight, they don't cheat yo into believing they are aerodynamic and they won't break the bank, maybe just crack it.

Some comment:

For bunch racing, depends where you race. If you go with breaks, attack the bunch, or have to pace at the front for your team, better aerodynamics will save you some energy. If you sit in the bunch all the time & wait for the sprint at the end, the difference will be small.

How much difference does less drag make? If you ride a flat 40km on your own at 300w, a set of Zipp 404s will be 71 seconds faster than box rims (or 23 watt) according to Zipp.

Most SA races have got little or no climbing. Mass of the wheels make litte difference. On long climbs, less mass will help.

After aerodynamics and mass,  the difference in bearing rolling resistance beween steel and ceramic balls is third in line. It will make an even smaller difference than lighter wheels.