Wanna buy a new MTB... Please Help!!

Mad Dog

Hi Everyone, I'm on a hardtail Merida Matt Sport 800 and I think it's time to upgrade, looking at a TREK EX 7. Are they any good and what should I pay for one??

Brilliant bike - a mate has one and I love it - so does he!

Don't know what current prices are, but he picked up a brand new 2008 for around 16k... think they're going for 20k new for the 2009 model in watered-down spec.

To clarify - watered down spec being the Rock Shox Recon SL and XT/SLX bits...

2008 came with a Fox RL32 130mm fork (i think - will check this weekend) and X9/LX bits

So a bit watered down in some areas, better in others (upgrade on the crank, down on the Rear Der. and fork)

The 2009 has the 1-piece swingarm linkage though, and they both have the RP2 at the back, and Juicy 3's on each end.

Damn nice bike either way.

That's a mouth full.... but like the last part "DAMN NICE BIKE EITHER WAY" That will do for me... the rest is a bit Wacko

O, and by the way?

Is there a big difference in riding a dual comparing to a hardtail? Never been on a dual...

Dual is softer and more forgiving....

Why dont u buy a better specced 2nd hand bike for that price???

Hi Mad Dog,

I just moved from hard tail, GT Avalanche 2.0, to a softie, GT Marathon 1.0.

I got it at a very good price, around 18 k, because it is last years model. Have a look around and see if you can get a 2008 bike, they are much cheaper!

I find the soft tail easier to ride and a lot more fun. Ok, I went from a cheap hardtail so the difference is more noticeable. Much better shocks, fox, and mostly XT kit all round. The bike is also lighter than my old one.

I am a beginner and getting older, 38 this year, so the back suspension really helps over the rough stuff.

I live in Tzaneen which has plenty of rougher stuff so here the dual suspension really works better for me.

Ray

Hi Rad006,

I can get a 2009 EX7 for 15k brand new.... I think it's a good buy...

No ! it's not stolen !

Hi TZmtb,

Same age ! That's what I want to hear !! Thanks.

I'll be there for the Magoebas this year.... on my new bike...hehehe

15 k is a very good price, take it, you can always upgrade things when they break!

Yeah, we will see you on the mountain. I will be the dude at the back.

Jip.... 15k more that was plannedWink

My wife wasn't happy when I told her I wanted a new bike, she freaked when I told her the cost!

Then I made the mistake of letting her ride it...

Now I will soon have to fork out another 20 k for a softie for her Angry

LMGA ! You alway tell them the normal price and THEN what you safe.... and only when they ask.... you tell them the price... it works.Clap

Live and learn I guess... expensive mistake.

She also wants a better bike than me, doesn't want to play second fiddle. So much for getting your family involved. I have a son with an eye on a carbon hardtail next.