Seeking MTB advice

Zach

Hello friends. Smile

I am Zachary, I am 20 years old and I am about 189cm tall.

I am rather new to this forum, just registered this morning.

I am going to be purchasing a MTB pretty soon. But this is why I post;

I need you guys to help me decide what would be best for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to be cycling to work and back daily, it's about 5 KM there and 5 KM back.. What would you recommend?

I've been to the local cycle shop here in Fish Hoek, just about the only one I can find in these parts and I saw a Silverback Oakland for R2495..

What do you guys think?

I was thinking about not over extending myself TOO much, at first I didn't wanna spend more than R1500 but I've since realized that maybe I really SHOULD invest quite a bit because this is going to be my daily transport to work and exercise.

Every single word of advice would be greatly thanked for.

Thanking you in advance. Smile

Zachary

I bought my first bike for the same reasons, just to get to work and back. Ended up buying a Avalanche Reflex 24speed Hybrit for about R1500 so I think you got the right idea. Only used it for a couple of months thou - then a year or so after my Boss got me into cyling, I started training for about 3months and did my first road race with it, I raced the same bike for another year or so before I bought myself a Specialized S-Works Tarmac Road bike.

So, yes, don't spend to much money on a new bike, you either going to use it for a few months or going to stop using it.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. I am prepared to spend roughly R1500 maybe at a push R2000 but going over that for now is a bit much for me.

But then the thought comes to mind that I really SHOULD get something solid seeing that it's going to be what I will rely on to get to and from work. I will be sure to have a look at the Avalanche Reflex, what do they go for nowadays? Was it a pretty stable and solid nice bike?

Thanks again!

The Alalanche, yeah, was pretty Solid, weigted like 14.8kg'sLOL - I upgraded it as I saw fit the more I got into cycling. Was a good learning curve, got to research all the parts ect to get it lighter when I got into racing.

Any old bike should be fine for what you looking at using it for.

Yeah most definitely. Once you start racing then that is an entirely different ball game. I'm sure the weight matters immensely then.

Right now I look at the specs of all these bikes and it's like woah to me because I don't really know the difference between the chains, breaks etc etc.

Where could I find a shop that retails Avalanche bikes? Think I wanna have a look at some because they seem like they'll do the trick yet they aren't as expensive as the Silverback range, correct?

I bought the Avalanche about 4years back so not sure if shops still stock them, but I bought it at City Cycling - there is one in CanalWalk, they have a wide variety of bikes, just tell the sales guy you have R1500 to spend - and then let him show you what they have in that range.

The Silverbacks might be cheaper? Go have a look. You could always go 2nd hand as well, you?ll get a better bike for the same price that way.

Yeah, I must go look around here more because I went into Regel Cycles in Fish Hoek yesterday and asked what they have, they only had about 2 bikes for me to chose from, one which was the Silverback Oakland and that's R2500...

I think I ought to spend some more time looking and maybe go up the line a bit to a bigger bike store =)