29ers VERSUS 26ers VERSUS FAT TYRES

swoosh1973

WOULD A WIDE TYRE ON A 26ER DO THE SAME AS A NORMAL TYRE ON A 29ER?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD A WIDE TYRE ON A 26ER DO THE SAME AS A NORMAL TYRE ON A 29ER?

• 29ER
    • FAT TYRE 26ER

Ok im still wondering about the 29er versus 26er. Today i rode my fiance Giant MTB as my bikes forks are moeg. She has fat Larson TT tyres and i use to have narow Continental "double fighters". I have ridden these for a while and despite the slip effect on wet rocks they gave me fast rolling on hardpack but somwhat bumby ride on rock.

The Larson TT felt like underpresure tyres compared to the Continentals at the same pressure!! This made me wonder again about the validity of 29ers.

Remember the advantage is bigger wheel diameter covers a larger surface area in contact with the ground than the 26er giving a more controld and comfortable and faster ride(yet you loose slight responsivness).

Now that is exactly what i experienced with the Larson TT tubeless tyres today Confused. Very smooth and comfortable as well as stable on steep wet rocky ascents/decents compared to the Continental double fighters!

Surely the wide tyres covering a bigger surface area does the same as a 29er? If you fitted the 29er with these Larson TT now that would be too cumbersome for racing? Please let me have your comments especially from those that can shoot this theory down!

One word... Nope.

The 26er's, due to their lower circumference, would have more control - surely (when it comes to the tight twitchy stuff, anyway) whereas the 29er's would roll over more technical descents and drop-offs that would have the 26er "catching" and giving you a feeling of instability.

I've recently ridden a 29er, back to back to my 26er (both H/tails, and same size) and quite frankly, the difference is amazing.

I felt more in control in the tight twisty stuff on the 26er, but when it came to the fast, flowing ST & dropoffs, the 9er was tops. The 9er was generally slower to respond (longer wheelbase) but was more sure on it's rubber as a result of the larger tyre and longer wheelbase.

Now to the crux of the matter - the debate of fatties versus 9ers. Imaging what the difference would be had you put fatties on the 9er, then gone over the same sections? Bear in mind that in order to get any real comparison, they have to be the same tire (make, model & width/profile) which will be a bit hard to do seeing that the 9er is still a relatively new animal on our shores and thus tire availability is not the same as on our faithful 6ers. 

In addition, the 9er could possily feel even more (shock! Horror!) secure with the addition of a set of fatties, but I'm sure that you will want to test that theory out for yourself. As for being too cumbersome for racing... Well, only you can make that choice. It is you who's riding it, after all.

My opinion? I'd forego the responsiveness in order to get the better descending capability. Not to mention that, given the same gearing & RPM, me on a 9er will outstrip you on a 6er, purely due to that extra circumference.

Make your own choice.

Great! Thanks for the reply. It makes allot of sense what your saying. What a pity i have to buy a whole new bike and cant simply fit  29er on my current bike.!

what about fitting a new front fork and just changing the front rim? Okay, you'll change your climbing characteristics, but you'll have the best of both worlds...

Wheelbase of inbetween a 9er & a 6er, the descending properties of a 9er due to the front wheel, and you don't have to shell out for a whole new bike...

Mind you, getting a 9er fork, and rim, and tire together might prove just as expensive as getting a 9er out the box...

• 1 month later...
Hi there, changed from 26 inch dual to a Gary fisher 29er hardtail in December 08, well I say it handles better, its faster, smoother - new bike would ultimately be dual 29er, no 2 ways about it!!! Converted without a doubt. Smile My results have been much improved I believe due to largely the bike. Love riding her!!! 

what about fitting a new front fork and just changing the front rim? Okay' date=' you'll change your climbing characteristics, but you'll have the best of both worlds...

Wheelbase of inbetween a 9er & a 6er, the descending properties of a 9er due to the front wheel, and you don't have to shell out for a whole new bike...

Mind you, getting a 9er fork, and rim, and tire together might prove just as expensive as getting a 9er out the box...

[/quote']

But then you look something like this Wink

20090908_051453_Cartoon-Clown-R.jpg