Do you cycle to work and back daily?

Konaman

It takes me 6min to work by bicycle and 10min by car. Dont even build up a sweat commuting to work on my bike. I try to ride a few times a week.

My kids think I am mad because  there are cars on this planet for this purpose.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunetly you ride back in the avie - it'll be one tough course with the SW'er blowing. (I work at the new harbour) hence I've stayed off the N2 during working hours

Heading into a blistering SW is hell in the afternoon, but, hey, cars get it just the same and use more fuel.  All you need is a hearty lunch, some attitude and your average dropping by 10km/h.  Occasionally a NE blows, then its heaven.  Worst part is getting sand blasted by sand coming off the dunes.  There are about 7 guys doing the Motherwell / City Centre route every day and this is likely to pick up in the summer.

I never ride on the N2, its simply too dangerous.  You can ride all the way from Central / Summerstrand to Ngqura without going onto a major road. 

Any idea when the National Bike to Work Day is?  The Department of Transport is suppossed to be handing out 500,000 bicycles (http://www.transport.gov.za/content.aspx?subID=19 ) during 2009/10.  Wonder what bicycle shop got that tender!

On my route there are some guys riding really well worn hypermarket bikes.  One day I gave this guy from Metalman a tube.  His old tube was red throughout - you could hardly see black rubber - there were so many patches.  I see his running to work now, not sure, but I think his bike has finally given in! 

Now heres a challenge to government and the bike industry.  On bike to work day, why don't you place yourselves along major cycling routes and hand out product, pamplets and bikes to people who really need it.  The voluntary sector (PPA) did it in the Western Cape and hats off to them.  Now where's the private sector and government!

As for the Department of Transport and Shova Kalula, show us what you are really doing in terms of bicycle commuting and don't tell us how much money you spend without specifying the outcomes!   

geotrails' date=' what time you guys leave in the morning and eveings, and what's that bike track like?[/quote']

I leave home at about 06h20 from Mill Park and leave work somewhere between 16h30 and 17h00.  The route is best done with an Mtb with Stans or Slime.  You can download a KML file from my site at http://geotrails.blogspot.com  and view the route in Google Earth.  I also have comments about the route on that site.  The bike path is absolutely awesome.