Cluster options

Slipstream Sean

I ride an entry level 8-speed road bike...not very cool, I know, but at this stage it's all I can afford.

The cluster I'm turning is a 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23 tooth which I'm sure is pretty standard. My question is...Can I just put another 8 speed cluster on with different number of teeth...I believe the boys in the TDF do it, obv on their top end bikes, when they change from a mountain stage to a flat one and vice versa.

So far this season this the funrides have been pancake flat, but now with the more hilly races in the southern suburbs in Jan/Feb and more urgently the DC  coming up, it would be handy to be able to roll a higher cadence up the climbs.

So guys, if you were told to do the DC(for e.g.) on a 8 speed bike(with a gun to your head), which range of tooth sizes would you select(I know this kinda thing is very rider dependant)...I dont know what ranges are made, but I'm thinking of 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25.

I know jack about this stuff, so tech junkies feel free to blabber on

Shot

I run 2 caseetes and 1 = 12 - 23 and the other is 12 - 25 and as you said I use the 23 for flat and the 25 for the hills this combined with my 39 - 53 cranks.

Works for me 

Unless you are a mountain goat those climbs in the first 60km of the DC take quite a bit out of you. I used a 12-23 last year and started to cramp at about 190km, This year I will give it a go with the 12-25. 

Well, I'm used to climbing in the 23, but really looking to save my legs...Thers no point me beating it up the climbs and then having to wait at the top while my muscles get cold, I'd rather rather spin up in a 25.

Thanks guys...I feel this could change my lifeEmbarrassed

Yes, you can just put on another cassette with a different combination.  Not sure how hilly the DC is but always good to pedal slightly easier gears in the first half of a ride over 5 hours.

As for the combination, you may well be limited in terms of what is available locally.  8 speed cassettes of the SORA variety are complete units, so the cogs are not separable, so you would need to purchase a 12-25 in the standard combination available.  Another option may be to get a 13-27 cassette but not sure how easy this would be to source and whether you would miss not having a 12 tooth cog.

Yes' date=' you can just put on another cassette with a different combination.  Not sure how hilly the DC is but always good to pedal slightly easier gears in the first half of a ride over 5 hours.

As for the combination, you may well be limited in terms of what is available locally.  8 speed cassettes of the SORA variety are complete units, so the cogs are not separable, so you would need to purchase a 12-25 in the standard combination available.  Another option may be to get a 13-27 cassette but not sure how easy this would be to source and whether you would miss not having a 12 tooth cog.
[/quote']

Yeah, DC has 2 category 3 climbs in the first 60km, and I'm pretty keen on on keeping a 12 tooth as I weight a meezly 69kg and therefore dont fly down the descents, so would need to turn the 12 ideally. But I will go down to my local bike shop and sus out the options availavle