Disc's

crasher

I am fitting new disc's and was just going to fit 160's again but I like the idea of running bigger on the front for better temp less fade etc

I decided on the XTR discs (look good as well Embarrassed) and thought I would stick a 203 on the front and a 180 on the back apart from the 40 grams weight diff is there any other disadvantage to doing this or is it overkill?

My shock can run 210's I will get the shimano adapters at the same time and continue with slx calipers.

Any info appreciated before I place the order

Thanks

I'm a fairly big chap (90-odd kgs) and I run a 180 up front and a 160 in the back.  PLENTY stopping power.

The biggest advantage for a cross country racer will be durability. They'll last proportionately longer than smaller discs. For downhillers, other advantages kick in. These mostly have to do with heat dissipation but they will obviously also enjoy the longer-lasting effect if bigger disks.

As for stopping force, both 160s and 203s will give you exactly the same stopping distance (ignoring overheating situations for now). The reason for this is that the limiting factor is not the disc's performance but traction.  No matter how much stopping force you have, if you don't have comparable traction, you're in skid-row.