Misaligned caliper....help?

MintSauce

Hi Guys,

I recently switched to 185mm rotors on my ML. I got the roundagon rotors and adapters from my LBS, all genuine Avid parts.

Please have a look at the pic below. As you can see it seems to me as if the caliper is too far from the rotor since it doesn't grab enough of the rotor?

Anyone else had a similar problem on the ML or any bike for that matter?

Should I worry about it?

I thought it might have something to do with the positioniing of the holes on the frame, but I never had this problem with the 160 rotors.

Thanks for any input!

Mint http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/TheRealMintSauce/BrakeProblem.jpg

Guest Big H

Mint Sauce..... You have a standard caliper for 150mm rotors. For Manitou you need a special bracket but most other shocks has standard ISO brackets. When yo go to a bigger rotor you need to get the proprietary bracket for that specific make disk to take the caliper out to the larger radis, The caliper now bolts onto the new bracket. If they do not line up in line and in radius(as it seems to be in your case) you need to shim the caliper to the correct diameter. This can all be due to the specific setup of the ISO bracket on your bike. Hope sells specicfic thickness shims specifically for this purpose.

In the Barnetts Manual they decribe Magura Brakes and Shimano XT brakes.... which type is Avid similar to. PM me and I can email you the Barnetts Manual on Hydraulic disk brakes.... might help.

Guest Big H

What does the Avid manual say on this???????

Hello Oom,

Die voorste een op die Fox vurk is perfek. Dis die agterste een op die raam wat uit is. Die adapter en rotor is alles genuine Avid produkte en almal die regte spesifikasie.

Avid gebruik glad nie shims nie. Hulle het 'n 'Caliper Positioning System' wat net vasbout en vanself die caliper oor die rotor(dis nou links/regs verstelling) in posisie bring.

Al wat ek kan dink is dat die 185mm adapter op party rame die caliper net 'n bietjie ver van die rotor af hou.

Daars tegnies niks fout nie want die pads loop nie bo die boonste rant van die rotor verby nie. Ek sal net verkies dat hy 'n bietjie dieper vat.

Het ge-post op MTBR en die raad wat ek gekry het is om net die adapter se mounts te verkort. Dit is nie 'n moerse job nie want die CPS stelsel sal compensate vir klein imperkeksies op die adapter so ek kan dit net met 'n vyl of grinder doen.

Dankie vir Oom se hulp anyway!

Guest Big H

As ek weer na jou foto kyk lyk die sweep van die pads reg. Los dit net so..... wat se die agente????? Of post 'n query op hulle website?????? Ek kan nie so iet uitlos nie.... ek sal aanhou bodder tot ek 'n antwoord het!!!!! Tee heeee!!!!!!!