Bikepacking / Bike Touring

Hi All

I want to start bikepacking / touring on my MTB.

ANY advice ??

- Gear
- Where to buy in SA
- Routes for starters
- Tents
- etc.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. If you going to camp?  Buy the best tent and sleeping equipment (sleeping bag, mattress, cushion and inner) that you can afford. Bad night sleep and you not going to enjoy the next days cycling. 

31 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Always feel safe. If you don't, move. Move quickly. I have only ever felt unsafe once. I moved very fast.

Was this while you were ridding on the bike or sleeping in your tent?

Copperhead.

I know it would be hard, because you could loose the passion, but man you should start a blog.

With all your travels and photo shots you could turn what you have into a money spinner. Heck I even follow your posts on the Hub.

I totally live vicariously through what you do!!

Just Start!!!!

I grabbed my old 26", added some cheap panniers from Decathlon, my 2 man A-frame tent and sleeping bag, camping cooker.

My first trip was 22KM to Bergsig Trout Farm in the Cradle.

Next is 50km to Hartbeesport

Then 105km to ATKV Bufflesport. 

image.png.5a1a1d03529b2935ab585ea65bed2361.png

8 minutes ago, Slowbee said:

What sleeping bags and mats do you guys use ?

First Ascent Amplify Down sleeping bag (using an inner for extra warmth and to keep sleeping bag clean for longer) 

JR Gear Traverse Core (Mummy) mattress 

11 minutes ago, AdamA said:

Just Start!!!!

I grabbed my old 26", added some cheap panniers from Decathlon, my 2 man A-frame tent and sleeping bag, camping cooker.

My first trip was 22KM to Bergsig Trout Farm in the Cradle.

Next is 50km to Hartbeesport

Then 105km to ATKV Bufflesport. 

image.png.5a1a1d03529b2935ab585ea65bed2361.png

Thats the way; dont overthink it,  some of my best bikepacking was on a 1988 Schwinn High Sierra 26 MTB with bits and pieces made/scrounged from elsewhere.  Just get out and ride

52 minutes ago, Slowbee said:

What sleeping bags and mats do you guys use ?

I've got the First Ascent light down bag (with an extra liner) with a Thermarest matress and sleep inside a Naturehike VIK 1 man tent.  
I chose all of these because they weren't stupidly expensive, are all light weight, take up almost no space and most importantly - super comfortable.  

Hi Jaco,

Myself and 2 friends recently did Cross Cape from Plett to Franshhoek over 9 days. 

As with gear and stuff needed there is ample ways of doing it. I've done self supported tours in Ireland and Europe but there's no better place than our own country and there's so much to see here. As folk above have mentioned there's plenty of help and advice. I really can recommend this form of travel and you will always learn which way works best the more trips you do.

I had most of the gear needed but there are a few companies in SA that make bags for all types of touring/bike backing. I bought a 2nd cx bike off the hub and fitted 40mm tires. I had a rear rack with Altura panniers and purchased a 4l Apidura frame bag (expensive but worth it when it rains). This allowed me to have enough space for 2 x 710mm water bottles with a 3rd mounted on my seat post. Having a rear rack allowed me to carry essential tools for the 3 of us. Basically as Copperhead says take what is necessary. The bigger the bag the more you will end up carrying. Try pack as light as you can. Dry bags are very useful and don't cost the earth, when its pouring down you'll be grateful that your stuff is dry. 

I'm more than happy to share our route if you interested.

I follow a few sites on Instagram below are a few places of interest,

Everydaycyclesupplyco

Cycle Africa Bike Bags

Natch goods and Nodo packs 

Bicyclesouth.co.za (This is a really informative site)

Privateer.co.za

Cheers 

16 minutes ago, copperhead said:

This I learnt too. It does get a bit dirty if you do a few bush sleeps without a shower. I have even washed it along the way. ????

A down sleeping bag you don't want to get wet or dirty and need to wash it on a trip. Make sure your down sleeping bag is in a very good dry bag while on the bike.

3 hours ago, Thug said:

The best advice I can give you is to have a look through https://bikepacking.com/ , which has a whole host of information.

There are a couple of local retailers that stock bikepacking equipment:

https://www.cycletouring.co.za/shop/

https://gravelandtour.co.za/

but if you want to purchase lightweight tents, sleeping bags etc, then you'll have to import from overseas.

Cycletouring.co.za has been a great resource for me too. But I wouldn't say an overseas import is needed for sleeping bags and camping stuff. I've purchased a great lightweight down sleeping bag from these guys and they have nice tents too:

https://www.outdoorescape.co.za/