STIs for women/small hands

Flowta

My girlfriend has a problem in the when her hands are on the hoods it is very difficult for her to use the brakes because her hands are too small.

Yes, I know she should descend in the drops but she feels very unstable, like she is going to fall.

What suggestions do you have for her?

I've heard that campy shifters are much nicer for smaller hands, any shimano equivalent?

Currently has a Sora groupset

I have campag on my road bike and I don't have any problems reaching the brakes, even though I have fairly small hands.  One of the reasons I chose campag over shimano is because I have small hands.

If you have the 9sp Sora then you can get spacer shims that sit in the STI's to move the lever closer to the bar, if she has the 8sp shifters then there's not much hope but to go 9sp and get the ST-R600 levers that can take the shims or like I say the newer 9sp sora levers have the shims...

She currently has the 8 speed Soras

Don't mind getting her 9 speed or changing to campag(if I can get it cheap enough).

I would have to get a new hub for campy, right?

I have 9 speed 105 sti's.

I have noticed that they are a bit smaller than the newer 10 speed ones.

But, bearing that in mind I still find that it is comfortable to only use one or two fingers to break when I am on the hoods.

If I need to break really hard I have to change my grip and get a few fingers down there. But it is not comfortable to ride in that that position.

I never brake from the hoops, I think it is a thing I need to get used to though.

Another idea for you, have you maybe tried to angle her bar up slightly?

This may give her a slightly different grip on the hoods and give her a better reach.

Other thing, if you are in Cape Town I may sell my 9 speed sti's so you are welcome to come and "try the fit" if you want.

How much would you want for them?

I'm based into CT, will talk to her and see if I can organise on the weekend or next week sometime.

Dont know ? maybe R400

They dont look so great anymore, the rubber hoods are looking a bit shabby.

I think you can get replacement covers for them.

Still in great working condition though as I use them every day.

Ok, well let me know if you want to come take a look.

I am in no hurry to sell them

ah, I just read through the posts again.

I see she is still on 8 speed?

Maybe a upgrade to 9 will be good then.

I have everything you will need to move her to 9 speed.

sti's, braze on FD, RD, 12-26 cassette, 53-39 crank (but you will be able to keep her one). My chain is ok as well.

I am keeping my brakes though, but her current ones will work fine though.

I have a new 9 speed 11-21 cassette (which I am using now) but I am assuming that she wont want such stiff gears?

Ill make you a bundle deal. Ill give you the sti's, fd, rd, 12-26 cassette & chain for R700.

Let me know if you are keen.

ah' date=' I just read through the posts again.

sti's, braze on FD, RD, 12-26 cassette, 53-39 crank (but you will be able to keep her one). My chain is ok as well.

I have a new 9 speed 11-21 cassette (which I am using now) but I am assuming that she wont want such stiff gears?

Ill make you a bundle deal. Ill give you the sti's, fd, rd, 12-26 cassette & chain for R700.

Sounds good, provided they fit her hands.

Will keep in touch

[/quote']

ah' date=' I just read through the posts again.

[/quote']

Sounds good, provided they fit her hands.

Will keep in touch

the new 2010 STI's are smaller than the previous models. I used to ride with DA7800 until my bike got taken away. my new bike came out with the new 2010 Ultegra gruppo. With gear cabling under the tape, the hoods are a lot smaller.

Have a look at Sram too, their hoods are also smaller.

You could also look at the shifters that Plant-X sells. It looks like those are also a small make.

Have a look at Shimano ST-R700 STI levers.

Just got a pair from CRC for mrs mountain_lion for the same reason.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27234

These are 10 speed.

Shimano used to make a 9 speed short reach version ST-R600, but I don't see it on the Shimano website any more.

However the only difference between the standard and short reach levers are wedges that are inserted in the top to move the lever closer to the bar. For the R600 they come in 5 & 10 degree and for the R700 in 4 & 8 degree. You fit the option you prefer and you can order the wedges separately.

I asked my LBS and after a search they found some 4 degree wedges somewhere.

The standard 105 levers are not designed to take the wedges (only has one hole at the top to clip the standard rubber strip and the wedges want 2; only Shimano will know why they don't make it universal).

I still managed to fit the wedges and it did work, although the right hand side did not look so nice, wedge was a bit wide.

However mrs ML wanted more adjustment, so we needed the 8 degree ones. I considered making my own wedges or ordering the 8 degree wedges, but in the end the CRC price was good and gave me an opertunity to make up a large enough order to get free shipping, so I just ordered the R700s.

The original 105 STIs are now for sale (and need to go to help pay for the CRC spend Smile)

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=69531