My DIY LED bike light

stewie911

Thanks for the info. At least I've got a starting point on lenses and LED's to use.

I'm officially startin my LED project today. WIll take time though as I plan to maybe design and build everything and control the lights with a microcontroller for "smart" modes.

Thanks for the info. At least I've got a starting point on lenses and LED's to use.

I'm officially startin my LED project today. WIll take time though as I plan to maybe design and build everything and control the lights with a microcontroller for "smart" modes.

There is nothing more satisfying riding with your owm lights you build yourself, the most fun part and most expensive is playing with all the options, but you can customise it the way you want it.

There is nothing more satisfying riding with your owm lights you build yourself, the most fun part and most expensive is playing with all the options, but you can customise it the way you want it.

Ja, I prefer to have everything custom made to suit one's need plus the satisfaction.

Optics and LED's ordered from cutter.

Welcome to the world of DIY lighting Stewie!

Custom is very definitely very rewarding.

Negotiating things like efficiency, heat dissipation, size and space (not to mention weight) will keep you busy for a while.

There's a lot of info on DIY lights here: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

What lenses and LEDs did you go for?

Built up a nice light a few months ago.

6 xpg's 10mm narrow lenses.

MaxFlex5A driver running at 1300MA (high)

14.8V lipo battery

Got the stuff from a friend who works with me.

Mostly comes from cree and okhobby.

He had the housings machined etc as well.

I must take some pics of it still.

I want to build another one sometime with the new XM led that has just come out.

You can get 1000 lumens (750 at 2A) out of it, it is the same size as the normal xpg/xpe.

(Efficiency is up about 30 lumens from XPG's at 350ma/1 watt)

So one of those for my head with a regina lense will be really awesome.

Just not sure if they have new drivers yet to match the XM properly.

Welcome to the world of DIY lighting Stewie!

Custom is very definitely very rewarding.

Negotiating things like efficiency, heat dissipation, size and space (not to mention weight) will keep you busy for a while.

There's a lot of info on DIY lights here: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

What lenses and LEDs did you go for?

Got some Cree XPG's. Lenses inlclude an eliptical, 15 degree and 5 degrees.

Also got a few 18650 3000mah from ebay. They are dirt cheap.

I got a few drivers from texas instruments and maxim to test, but may end up building my own.

First a bike light with two spot LED's and a wide beam and then later on a running light.

Where is the best (cheapest) place to order LiPos from. At this stage i use 18650 batteries

I use these ones from DealExtreme

DealExtreme's prices are more than reasonable, but shipping times are a lucky packet draw. Anything between 2 weeks and 2 months can be expected.

Here's a link that can be extremely helpful when deciding on which ones to go for LiIon Comparisons

Just a tiny lil note: The above is relevant to Lithium Ion batteries in 18650 format. I haven't seen Lithium Polymer batteries in 18650 format yet... :P

I got a few drivers from texas instruments and maxim to test, but may end up building my own.

First a bike light with two spot LED's and a wide beam and then later on a running light.

Yeah, a XPG R5 driven at +- 1A with an elliptical lens makes a nice soft spread of light. Perfect for when the group just cruises around sedately. The same LED with a 5 degree lens will have some serious throw. I just had a look and I'm using the LXP RealSpot 5.5 degree lenses. They have some usable spill as well.

Do you have links to those drivers? I'd like to have a look at them.

I've spent a lot of time on the hunt for the perfect driver. Also thought I'd just make my own. In the end hurdles like electrical noise (yes, they can throw you heart rate monitor way off), efficiency and thermal management made me decide that I'm just going to use something like this next time around.

The reason I prefer XPGs to the new XMLs is that if you are going to draw 2.5A from your battery pack, multiple XPGs allows you to shape your light. Where as a single XML driven at 2.5A will be stupidly bright yes, but you'll be stuck with only throw, or only medium...

Looking forward to seeing your efforts Stewie :thumbup:

Upload some pictures as you build please :thumbup:

I use these ones from DealExtreme

DealExtreme's prices are more than reasonable, but shipping times are a lucky packet draw. Anything between 2 weeks and 2 months can be expected.

Here's a link that can be extremely helpful when deciding on which ones to go for LiIon Comparisons

Just a tiny lil note: The above is relevant to Lithium Ion batteries in 18650 format. I haven't seen Lithium Polymer batteries in 18650 format yet... :P

Yeah, a XPG R5 driven at +- 1A with an elliptical lens makes a nice soft spread of light. Perfect for when the group just cruises around sedately. The same LED with a 5 degree lens will have some serious throw. I just had a look and I'm using the LXP RealSpot 5.5 degree lenses. They have some usable spill as well.

Do you have links to those drivers? I'd like to have a look at them.

I've spent a lot of time on the hunt for the perfect driver. Also thought I'd just make my own. In the end hurdles like electrical noise (yes, they can throw you heart rate monitor way off), efficiency and thermal management made me decide that I'm just going to use something like this next time around.

The reason I prefer XPGs to the new XMLs is that if you are going to draw 2.5A from your battery pack, multiple XPGs allows you to shape your light. Where as a single XML driven at 2.5A will be stupidly bright yes, but you'll be stuck with only throw, or only medium...

Looking forward to seeing your efforts Stewie :thumbup:

It makes sense to use the XM's for the efficiency.

Dont drive them hard at full power - unless as you say you want one spot or unless you have a wide lens on it.

But rather chuck a couple in a row and then you can run for longer of the same battery pack with the same brightness.

Also at a lower power they generate less heat than the XPG's. My light gets super super hot even on the low setting if I am not moving around.

Oh yes.

We got batteries from okhobby.com

Make sure if you buy lipo that you buy a charging bag.

Lots of people have burnt their houses down from exploding lipos :blink:

I use these ones from DealExtreme DealExtreme's prices are more than reasonable, but shipping times are a lucky packet draw. Anything between 2 weeks and 2 months can be expected.Here's a link that can be extremely helpful when deciding on which ones to go for LiIon ComparisonsJust a tiny lil note: The above is relevant to Lithium Ion batteries in 18650 format. I haven't seen Lithium Polymer batteries in 18650 format yet... :P Yeah, a XPG R5 driven at +- 1A with an elliptical lens makes a nice soft spread of light. Perfect for when the group just cruises around sedately. The same LED with a 5 degree lens will have some serious throw. I just had a look and I'm using the LXP RealSpot 5.5 degree lenses. They have some usable spill as well. Do you have links to those drivers? I'd like to have a look at them.I've spent a lot of time on the hunt for the perfect driver. Also thought I'd just make my own. In the end hurdles like electrical noise (yes, they can throw you heart rate monitor way off), efficiency and thermal management made me decide that I'm just going to use something like this next time around.The reason I prefer XPGs to the new XMLs is that if you are going to draw 2.5A from your battery pack, multiple XPGs allows you to shape your light. Where as a single XML driven at 2.5A will be stupidly bright yes, but you'll be stuck with only throw, or only medium...Looking forward to seeing your efforts Stewie :thumbup:

Saw the drivers from Rabtron. Doesn't look too bad. I can see myself using the prebuilt drivers, 'cause I'll be too lazy in the end, but we'll see :)

Got the TPS61500, TPS61180 and TPS63020 from TI.

Also got the LM3410 from national semiconductor

Finally from Maxim I got some battery management chips to see how they work.

All the drivers is to play around with and see which one's will work best.

Upload some pictures as you build please :thumbup:

Sure thing. Will take some time though as I'm working on another project for my dad and then there's actual work and training to be fitted in :D