SRAM FD, sluggish shifting

Wannabe

I have a X7 shifter, X Gen FD combo on my bike, but the shifting is very sluggish with a very long "throw" on the upshifts. Downshifts is quick and crisp, but when shifting from any smaller ring to a bigger one, I must push the shifter very far/hard before anything happen. Is my FD setup wrong, or is it a SRAM thing? I think this FD is what they call a "topswing", with the cable coming straight down to the FD.

Could the fitting of a different FD sort this out, like a Deore LX or something similar?

Spoke to the youngster at the LBS. He says it is a SRAM design feature with the long throw/response at the front on the upshift, with the quicker downshift. Dunno if I'm gonna take his word at it. Anybody that can add to this?

If it is like that, I'm gonna chuck that SRAM shifters at the first opportunity and go back to Shimano.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same with my STX FD, I had XT shifters, but now have Sram X0, the throw is the same on both.

deanbean2010-01-24 04:25:50

What model year model sram is it?

Bought it in 2008, so either 07-08 model. Why, was there re-design or new models introduced?

Test for sluggishness yourself.

Loosen the cable anchor bolt on the rear derailer and grip the cable in your fingers. Now shift against yourself i.e one hand pulls on the cable, the other does the shifting.

On the downshif especially, the cable should pull back sharp and snappy. If it feels sluggish, you have sluggish shifting and need new cables.

Now find the post on how to set your gears and replace the cable.

Downshift is nice and crisp, no problem with that. It is the upshift from smaller rings that has this very long "throw" and is slow and sluggish.