Tour de Fance trips

cacciatore

I was wondering how many people actually go watch the tour de france from SA every year.

And those who do go do you go mostly with organised tours or just wing it on your own?

People who have gone whats the best way and who do you go with? 

I am going next year for 2 weeks to watch and ride the Alps and Pyrenees with Baxter Tours from the UK +- 22 Grand excl flights

I heard the cycletravel company can do great deals an apparently they got the contacts for like vip passes and stuff all depending on the packages you take...www.cycletravelcompany.co.za maybe check them out

Arranged myself. Prefer to do my own thing when it comes to holidays. Do the same when we go skiing, we never go through a Tour Operator, it works out cheaper.

I've gone to ride & watch the past 2 years. Most awesome experience!!! Missing this year due to investing too much leave into Cape Epic and taking the family to the US (blame Cape Epic). Will be back in the Alps 2008 for sure!!!

I wing it. Rent a car (aircon a must during July), stay in cheap hotels (last year I nearly died without hotel aircon) and live like the locals out of Carrefour stores. Ride mostly MTB into the forests & mountains around the race route Thumbs%20Up, ride some of the big & famous climbs (on my MTB ... very hard work but I klap the roadies on the decent) and then join the TDF circus for a day or two. Plan my trips in detail on Google Earth & my trusted GPS.

PM me if you want more info ... I think I have loads more fun than the official tour groups but I do tend to live a bit like a bergie when I travel.

Yes, I shall also be in London for the Pro-logue.

Although I have to say it was not my main intention - which was a planned trip to Italy for a few days, however flying via London gave me the opportunity to spend a few nights and view the first day.

I have to say I am not fanatical about seeing the race, I will obviously pop by and see whats up but if its a madhouse (as I suspect) I will just move on. 

There faaaaaar to much to do in London to waste it in a 10 deep spectator maul around a barrier.Dead

I dont do the package thing either - plan everything on my own.Actually I dont usually plan anything except the first two nights accomodation - from there I plan my day as I feel. 

Just as an aside Gary - did you also get stung by the massive increase in air fares to London over that period??

Fares now about R11000.00 inc taxes TO LONDONDead - any other time R5000.00 or there about.

Widget the cheapest I could get was R9400 on BA direct to Heathrow. Travel agents say it is high season. Funny how you can never ever get those deals they advetise in the paper when you want to travel. Anyways, new job will pay for it.LOL

I'm going to be at the prologue too. Watching wimbledon the week before as well!!  I managed to get my ticket for just over R6k - get 10% off on Virgin atlantic if you use their credit card to pay. I'll be there with my SA flag over my shoulders.