Rant - Freeway cyclists

DesertConvert

Yup, most laws are actually based on the principle of common sense. Like indicating, stopping at stop streets etc but the authorities seem unwilling to police the laws as it involves a bit more work and less opportunity to solicit bribes than manning a speed trap.

FACT: Pedal Cycles are classified as vehicles, otherwise the authorities would be telling us to ride on the pavement.
idrive2010-02-17 13:52:03

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that this does NOT apply to cyclists.

A Motor Vehicle is defined in the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 as:

'motor vehicle' means any self-propelled vehicle and includes-

(a) a trailer; and

(b) a vehicle having pedals and an engine or an electric motor as an integral part thereof or attached thereto

and which is designed or adapted to be propelled by means of such pedals' date=' engine or motor, or both such

pedals and engine or motor, but does not include-

[/quote']

I reckon the part where it talks about pedals and being propelled by pedals probably covers cyclists.

Hey thanks for this' date=' where can on get a set of these

regulations....I want to have them in my car....maybe many copies and

hand them out when I see people getting fined for NOT doing anything

wrong....

[/quote']

You can look here:

http://www.acts.co.za/rt_nrta/index.htm

The NRTA section was last updated in 2003, so it's missing some of the newer regulations (e.g. compulsory bicycle helmets), but this particular regulation is still in the current act.

Edman, I'm not a lawyer. My reading of what you highlighted makes me think of those mopeds that have an engine AND pedals (on the same vehicle, to start it). I'll try find some friends with an LLB to clear it up.

I believe the text says: " 'motor vehicle' means any self-propelled vehicle and includes: ". A bicycle is not a self-propelled vehicle.

Based on all our "research" a few points are clear:

1.) Cyclists are, by law,  not allowed on a freeway/highway (definition of such a road has been posted previously).

2.) A motorised vehicle may travel in the emergency lane if the road is a single carriageway, the vehicle driving in the emergency lane is being overtaken and it is safe to do so(daylight hours, good visibility etc.) This part of the Act as quoted in the previous posts does not apply to cyclists.

As far as this is concerned:

Time for a bit of common sense!

If you are riding up a long hill on a freeway and you approach a

junction: Do you a) stay in the emergency lane and take the off-ramp or

b) join the 120 km/h traffic and hope for the best?

At 20km/h a cyclist is covering 5.5 meters every second while at

120km/h a car will cover 33 m/s ....... doesn't fuggin matter what the

law says .... common sense should be the deciding factor. 

See point 1 above

Edman' date=' I'm not a lawyer. My reading of what you highlighted makes me think of those mopeds that have an engine AND pedals (on the same vehicle, to start it).[/quote']

On further reflection, I agree. We are not covered by that definition and section and can ride in the yellow line to our hearts' content (provided it's not on a freeway).

Edman2010-02-18 03:08:27

There was a "wealthy looking" couple (male & female) cycling on the M3 around 5:30pm this evening near the Tokai on-ramp.

The lady didn't have a helmet. How f**king stupid are these people?

There was a "wealthy looking" couple (male & female) cycling on the M3 around 5:30pm this evening near the Tokai on-ramp.

Mikkelz..... moenie worry nie....... natures own way of selection taking place...... and when she is taken out our esteemed Hubbers will foam at the mouth for weeks to come!!!!!!!

saw a cyclist dressed in full racing kit riding on the M5 at the N2 offramp today. Hooted at him as a warning that i was approaching and all he did was smile and wave, no care in the world.

Mikkelz..... moenie worry nie....... natures own way of selection taking place...... and when she is taken out our esteemed Hubbers will foam at the mouth for weeks to come!!!!!!!

Clap haha yeah you're right! LOL

Unless it is between dawn and dusk, visibility is at least 150m, it is safe to do so and you have moved over to let other vehicles past (a pretty much permanent state for a cyclist).

I stand corrected, but this law only count on NON Highway roads, highway always have two lanes.

I also thought this and then stopped where traffic cops were wrtting tickets and asked them this exact thing' date=' and the response was that

"unless you are stopping for an emergency, it is illegal to DRIVER in the yellow lane"[/quote']
I've also spoken to a (rather senior) traffic cop who also said that.

Regulation 298A of the Road Traffic Act says:
2)        Notwithstanding subregulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction ?

Read the last part of this Regulation