Flats or clipless?

firewalker

This is a dilemma that is really starting to get me down, I am busy building up a new XC/trail bike, and no matter how much I've read I cant seem to decide.

I know it is personal preference, but is the difference in strength really noticeable with flats over clipless?

I have been riding with clipless but even though I'm well used to them and can clip out pretty fast, there is still a small, but painful, percent of times when I cant, (thick sand, weird slope, mud etc). This really worries me for races where you have no idea whats around the next corner and a whole bunch of other riders on top of you.

Do alot of people ride flats just for races?

But then that leads me to for example, a four day Mashatu ride, where the terrain is so varied, but you still want some strength in your strokes.

What are the thoughts on those pedals that offer both clipless and flats?

I have just ordered some FiveTens and flats, apparently that combination works well, aside from the torn up shins, but cant seem to make a decision...? Help

For XC, you are gonna miss the clipless on the climbs.

Trail - even though clipless almost always will be faster if you don't fall, nothing beats the confidence of knowing you can pop a foot off without even thinking about it, or in a steep turn etc.

I feel way too insecure descending on flats. I like the feeling of being locked onto my bike, knowing that my feet wont slip off.

If your clipless pedals are set up right you should never have a problem getting out. Try another type of pedal. I find crank brothers pedals the best personally as I NEVER have a problem unclipping. If only they would make a set that last a little longer... Angry

I feel way too insecure descending on flats. I like the feeling of being locked onto my bike' date=' knowing that my feet wont slip off.

If your clipless pedals are set up right you should never have a problem getting out. Try another type of pedal. I find crank brothers pedals the best personally as I NEVER have a problem unclipping. If only they would make a set that last a little longer... Angry

[/quote']

Same here. Felt very uneasy with a set of pedals I was trying out that unclipped quite easily. I like being locked in. Nothing like maneouvering your way through a rock garden and your foot pops out.

I am sure freeriding and jumping are different kettles of fish but I dont have the balls for that kind of stuff anyway plus my Medical Aid has run out.Ouch

I ride pedals that are a combination (Shimano, forget what model), basically because:

(a)  I commute regularly and I want something that will accomodate a ordinary (work) shoe as well as a MTB shoe.

(b) I have been told by my doctor that I should really stop falling on my head, so I tend to unclip at sections that I feel might lead to an involuntary dismount.

Having said that, I can reasonably comfortably ride with one or two feet clipped out on these combo pedals BUT your feet (when wearing MTB shoes) can still slip when you hit stuff (which can lead to an uncomfortable sitation w.r.t parts of your anatomy that might come into contact with top tubes etc)

The weight aspect of the pedals don't bother me, as 100 g here or there will make no difference when you consider that I am about 90 kgs myself (these combo pedals are a little heavier). 

I ride pedals that are a combination (Shimano' date=' forget what model), basically because:

(a)  I commute regularly and I want something that will accomodate a ordinary (work) shoe as well as a MTB shoe.

(b) I have been told by my doctor that I should really stop falling on my head, so I tend to unclip at sections that I feel might lead to an involuntary dismount.

Having said that, I can reasonably comfortably ride with one or two feet clipped out on these combo pedals BUT your feet (when wearing MTB shoes) can still slip when you hit stuff (which can lead to an uncomfortable sitation w.r.t parts of your anatomy that might come into contact with top tubes etc)

The weight aspect of the pedals don't bother me, as 100 g here or there will make no difference when you consider that I am about 90 kgs myself (these combo pedals are a little heavier). 
[/quote']

these dualies seem a really good compromise, how do they work, ? is there a clipless half and then a flat half, and you turn the pedal around to the flat half for tricky sections? i see there are some 661 shoes that are built for these, grippy rubber and a cleat.

I wouldn't bother with the dual sided pedals...

Get a dedicated set of both : clipless pedals for riding XC races and trails and a set flatties for all your other outtings. Flatties are awesome to up your skills without being locked into the bike. I've read guys complain that with the 5.10 combo/flatties they feel too locked in...

I have more fun riding flatties but always slap on the egg beaters for teh odd XC race.

thanks super_mil, i think that is probably what i will end up doing. its not the end of the world to change over your pedals according to what you are going to be riding. 

I feel way too insecure descending on flats. I like the feeling of being locked onto my bike' date=' knowing that my feet wont slip off.

[/quote']

+1

You can actually pedal over rough ground at speed with clipless. This is more important on a hardtail though. I have flats on my dirt jumper, only because falling is expected. 

Once you get used to them, clipless really do make XC riding more enjoyable.

Just do it, you wont regret it. I still have the odd fall here and there because I forget to unclip, but in a crash I always clip out long before I hit the ground.

i'm being such a loser about these damn pedals i know. i do ride clipless, and ride pretty ok in them, but hell i fall alot, in two months i have buggered up my elbow and my knee so badly, im getting older, i dont seem to bounce quite like i used to :) im gonna try those shimano pedals, i reckon maybe just a wider space around the clip will give me a bit of extra hold if i do feel like negotiating something particularly treacherous and dragging my one foot. and if it doesnt work i'll just harden the *7%$ up and accept my falls with grace!

but hell i fall alot' date=' in two months i have buggered up my elbow and my knee so badly

[/quote']

I fall almost every time I go ride Embarrassed lets you know you are pushing your limits right ... ? That being said I am 24 and made of rubber. Although since I started MTB my legs are starting to resemble the surface of the moon.

I find learning to trackstand also helps with the clipless, if you feeling sketchy you can stop, rethink your situation, and then either dismount or ride it out.

If you use the combo pedals you might as well be clipped in unless you are wearing shoes without cleatsDead??? then what's the point? are you gonna carry your spares cleated shoes on your back...?

Mostly downhill racers ride with flats (proper ones) and they have the body armour to save their shins from being eaten by the Chainrings

XC guys use cleats for obvious reasons going uphill is just one of themWink

There is no in between

it's either or

Spraying lube on your SPD's before every ride will ensure that your feet don't get stuck when riding sand, mud etc etc

They are not a set and forget part of the bike. just like everything else they need regular attentionOuch other wise you end up bruised

Kaizen2010-03-08 09:21:57

fully agreed kaizen. i wont try combo pedals, will stick with clipless, but just switch from my eggbeaters to the shimano with a bit of a cage around the clip, with the egg beaters you absolutely cannot take your feet out of the clips because there is nothing to hang onto. those shimanos look like you may be able to still hold fast a bit without being clipped in at times