Petacchi FACE ONE-YEAR BAN..

superman2007

Posted on 04 July 2007 - 18:45

http://images.supersport.co.za/PetacchiAlessandro070523CelebratingAIbg.jpgCyclist Alessandro Petacchi faces a one-year ban after a dope test showed excessive levels of salbutamol during May's Giro d'Italia, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said in a statement on Wednesday.

Petacchi, who looks set to miss the Tour de France starting on Saturday, told a two-hour doping hearing on Monday he had a medical certificate to use a set amount of salbutamol in his asthma inhaler and that any overuse was simply an oversight.

But the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping prosecutor, Ettore Torri, decided he was still culpable and has asked cycling authorities to give the 33-year-old Milram rider a one-year ban. A two-year suspension is the maximum sentence.

The ban has to be rubber-stamped by the Italian Cycling Federation, which could take some time, but his hopes of beginning the Tour in London in three days time now look shattered.

"I tried to explain my case scientifically and the good faith in which it happened," the Italian sprinter told reporters after Monday's hearing. "The Tour? It depends on the prosecutor."

Giro winner Danilo Di Luca is scheduled to appear before Torri a week on Saturday as part of a separate inquiry connected to a 2004 police investigation into possible doping. Di Luca has said he has nothing to hide.

Ivan Basso, the 2006 Giro winner, was given a two-year backdated ban last month for telling Torri he was involved in Spain's Operacion Puerto doping scandal. Basso said he had only intended to dope but had never actually done so.

Looking at the Supercycling website, the 4 main international stories are.... yup, all dedicated to doping. LOL

Latest is...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/jul07/jul03news/par1397736tn.jpg

Alessandro Petacchi has been suspended by his Milram team after the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) anti-doping prosecutor Ettore Torri demanded a one year ban for the 33 year-old Italian sprint ace for his non-negative test for the asthma drug Salbutamol during this year's Giro d'Italia, meaning Petacchi will miss this year's Tour de France, which starts in London on Saturday.

While Petacchi, who will be replaced on the squad's Tour team by Ukrainian Andrei Grivko, has dispensation for the asthma product the levels that were recorded at the Giro were abnormally high, leading to CONI's investigation. Even without the Milram's sidelining of the rider, Petacchi likely would have been forced to skip the Tour with its director Christian Prudhomme adamant he'll prevent any rider under investigation from starting his prestigious event.

Although a decision from the Italian federation on Petacchi's sentence is pending, Team Milram manager, Gerrie van Gerwen, has pulled his star rider from competition until the case is complete. "either way, Petacchi will remain on non-active status," confirmed van Gerwen.

Van Gerwen emphasised that the sprinter will have the chance to defend himself, and will be innocent until proven guilty, however, should the rider be found guilty then there is no place on the team for him. "In all our contracts it states, who ever gets found using doping products, will get booted," a to-the-point van Gerwen told AFP.

Petacchi, who signed the UCI's anti doping charter on Tuesday, could be required to repay a year's salary to the organisation under conditions of the new agreement, should he be found guilty of doping.

So I'll have to modify my team for the Hub TDF game. Ouch

He should have waited a day or 2 before signing the charter, if I temember correctly he is one of the highest paid riders.