Cycling yet Anti-Doping Charter..

superman2007

Posted on 05 July 2007 - 10:33

http://images.supersport.co.za/SavoldelliPaolo070501PodiumRbg.jpgFive of the 21 teams participating in the Tour de France, which begins in London on Saturday, have yet to sign a landmark anti-doping charter which guarantees their entry to the July 7-29 race.

So far 16 teams have signed the declaration. However, the entire teams of CSC, Quick Step and Rabobank have yet to sign.

Russian Vladimir Gusev, of Discovery Channel, and Italian Paolo Savoldelli, of Astana, have also not signed.

In a bid for a clean Tour, and to simultaneously weed out anyone linked to the ongoing 'Operation Puerto' doping affair in Spain, the International Cycling Union (UCI) has asked all Tour riders to sign an anti-doping charter and provide a DNA sample.

The charter also stipulates that riders must also lodge a year's salary, which will be forfeited if they are convicted of any doping charges.

Tour de France organisers have also promised to deny entry to any rider who fails to sign the

It was earlier rumoured Hunter had not yet signed, when in fact he was one of the 1st.