Stellenbosch Jonkershoek MTB Trails

Clint Adams

You can also buy an annual cycling permit, which gets you into all MTO forest areas for a whole year. Should be valid for Tokai too.

Cost R300 for a couple.  Not sure how much for individual.

Wild cards are only for Nature Conservation areas.

So for Jonkershoek Wild Cards are only valid if you go hiking above the plantation areas.

Took a ride through the mountain @ Coetzenburg this morning. I really forgot how nice it was.

<snip>

Anybody from Idas Valley that rides that trail please let me know!

There is also some very nice riding to be done around the Idas Valley dams in your back yard!

Went for another ride this morning. @ Stellenbosch mountain. Was just brilliant.

The Down hill next to the DAM was quick.

I really forgot how much fun this was!

I prefer to go in the other direction; i.e. climb up past the dam and then bomb down the longer straight section on the east side.

You can get some good air over some of the drainage bumps, but be careful there are now some nasty ditches that can catch you out...

Went for another ride this morning. @ Stellenbosch mountain. Was just brilliant.

The Down hill next to the DAM was quick.

I really forgot how much fun this was!

I prefer to go in the other direction; i.e. climb up past the dam and then bomb down the longer straight section on the east side.

You can get some good air over some of the drainage bumps' date=' but be careful there are now some nasty ditches that can catch you out...

[/quote']

So where do you go up to get to the Idas Valley DAM. Is it up ou helshoogte RD?

I really want to take a ride to there!

My babybrother is getting a new bike tomorrow, Maybe we should go up to the Dams tomorrow.

I'll here what he says.

I'm going to Jonkershoek for the 1st time today... ride starting at 0730.

Looking forward to it.

I hear it's beautiful out there.

smiley2.gif

You can also buy an annual cycling permit' date=' which gets you into all MTO forest areas for a whole year. Should be valid for Tokai too.

So for Jonkershoek Wild Cards are only valid if you go hiking above the plantation areas.

[/quote']

@M L ...where do i get such a permit? Will I be able to venture into Grabouw?

The road from Stellenbosch dead-ends at the Jonkershoek entry gate.

Is beautiful and the veld is starting to recover nicely from last year's terrible fire. Unfortunately the fire destroyed the best single track in Jonkershoek. Cry

Us locals called it Never-ending-story, but the signs labelled it Elioti (I think).

I doubt if it will be repaired. Not only was considerable damage done while clearing the burnt trees (they are not done yet), but the intensity of the fire was so fierce that the soil burnt as well. After the fire the winter rains did the rest; large sections of the trail were washed away by landslides.

Fortunately the Canary trails were spared by the fire and they still offer some great riding. Of course there are many other nice single tracks too...

You can also buy an annual cycling permit' date=' which gets you into all MTO forest areas for a whole year. Should be valid for Tokai too.

[/quote']

AFAIK you can get it from any MTO office. Me and the Mrs got ours at Jonkershoek.

They want and ID / Passport photo, which they laminate onto your permit card. All done by hand... We paid the fee and dropped off our photos at the Jonkershoek gate one Saturday and collected our cards the weekend after at the gate.

I have only used my permit at Jonkershoek, but as I understand it, it is vallid at all MTO forests where MTBs are allowed, so should get you in to Grabouw as well. Best will be confirm with MTO.

So where do you go up to get to the Idas Valley DAM. Is it up ou helshoogte RD?

Yes, that is the easiest to find.

At least 2 entry points from the Old Helshoogte road.

You can also enter from the road leading up to the hydro.

Meurant's Stellenbosch MTB mud fest in August normally exits here before  continuing on to Rustenburg farm.

Note that Rustenburg is no go at all other times.

Be careful around the dams; muggings have been reported.

[/quote']

AFAIK you can get it from any MTO office. Me and the Mrs got ours at Jonkershoek.
They want and ID / Passport photo, which they laminate onto your permit card. All done by hand... We paid the fee and dropped off our photos at the Jonkershoek gate one Saturday and collected our cards the weekend after at the gate.

I have only used my permit at Jonkershoek, but as I understand it, it is vallid at all MTO forests where MTBs are allowed, so should get you in to Grabouw as well. Best will be confirm with MTO.

Thanx ML, I'll aslo check with MTO re all entry....