Dura Ace Compact Crank choice!

globaledge

Tankman, seeing that you are the wise one at the moment.

Can you have a BCD 110, 53/34 will the front der work?

not wise ... with trial and error I just learned what works and what doesnt :D

I have used 52/34 without issues. But you have to be aware of your shifting and not shift like a dumbass. Shifthing Up from 34 to 52 has never been an issue but I have dropped the chain once or twice in the beginning when not paying attention when shifting down from 52 to 34. That is easy to overcome by shifting the rear into a bigger gear before dropping down at the front.

Out of all the combination I still prefer 52/36. The gap in gears is less as with a 52/34

You better believe it..he's already got the 2nd child on the way.....

My point exactly - practice makes perfect B)

So if Shimano has 110 vs 130 Campy is 135 vs ?

Apparently Campy compact also has a 110mm BCD. I can not find any info to confirm this tho.

Only info I could find, was guys saying that normal 110mm chainrings from FSA Shimano and the likes does not fit, it has to be Campy only. They are all talking about some or other offset that campy has.

I am very happy with my compact.

50/34 and 11-23 at the back.

Only up very steep inclines (ie. ones that hit 10%)do you end up grinding a bit. But that makes us stronger anyway.

Looking at what you do currently have though, if you had to stick a compact on your bike and go to the 11-23 it may be harder than what you used to have.

But with that being said, flip, a 34 - 29 would be like mtb granny gear up ou kaap.

That is like serious overkill.

So if you really really need the easier gears, stick a compact on with a 11-25 cassette and that would be similar to what you are used to.

Personally, I think you would be better off on the 23, loose some weight and those hills get a whole lot easier. A close gear ratio on the cassette is so much sweeter to ride on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Woofie. Just realised I've got a 27 and not the 29. Have decided to go with the general advice of 11 - 23 for racing and perhaps a 11 - 25 for my training wheels and when I'm feeling buggered after intervals the previous day!