Drop out

_freak_

housings are unlikey to cause problems in just a few gears - housings that have become corroded inside will cause your shifting to be sticky or hard to shift

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

housings are unlikey to cause problems in just a few gears - housings that have become corroded inside will cause your shifting to be sticky or hard to shift

Wrong,housings that the plastic lining has worn can cause a deraileur to shift great in 6 of the9 gears.Seen it plenty of times.

Replace the housing.

@ 20niner

no damage, only upgrade

new cables but not housings

I know you said new,but is it NEW IN BOX or just much newer than your old one,another thing is,how old is the rest of the drive-train?

Chain and Cassette?

@ 20niner

ill replace the housings and see

it was new off a new bike, i upgraded from 8sp to 9sp so every thing is replaced

Wrong,housings that the plastic lining has worn can cause a deraileur to shift great in 6 of the9 gears.Seen it plenty of times.

Replace the housing.

Please explain the mechanical principles behind this statement and also why if the housing was not causing shifting problems with the previous derailleur it suddenly became the the cause of the problem with the new derailleur ?

As the inner liner wears away,the cable has more free-movemnt inside the liner.The idea that the cable will always follow the shortest route only realy applies when the cable is being pulled.But when released,it can "loop" a little in the housing.

What you tend to find then,is that you can adjust cable tension sothat the gears either shift up well , or down well but not both and at the same time,the chain well then rattle or click in a few of the gears but not all.

22 years of cycle mechanic experience also helps.

Except that when released the cable is again pulled taut by the spring in the derailleur up to the next ratchett in the shifter - the only point at which the cable could be totally slack and have some "loop" in it is when it is at the end of its travel i.e. in the smallest or biggest cog (depending on whether its a hi-rise or lo-rise mech)

Quite happy to defer to your 22 years of experience but it still doesn't explain why this problem only arose when the new derailleur was fitted and didn't occur before ??

The problem might have been less noticable before with older deraileur,if the pulleys for eg. where old and had more play,there are a few could be and might be's here.not that easy to diagnose the exact problem with out knowing all the facts.Just trying to help.

Sorry 20niner, wasn't trying to wind you up - Too right it is a difficult thing to diagnose from a distance - lots of variables! Good luck with it Freak :)

Except that when released the cable is again pulled taut by the spring in the derailleur up to the next ratchett in the shifter - the only point at which the cable could be totally slack and have some "loop" in it is when it is at the end of its travel i.e. in the smallest or biggest cog (depending on whether its a hi-rise or lo-rise mech)

Quite happy to defer to your 22 years of experience but it still doesn't explain why this problem only arose when the new derailleur was fitted and didn't occur before ??

Is your bike a male or a female. If it is a female she will continue to give you sh!t and new problems will arise out of the blue. If it is a male bike it will be happy with any sh!t ........ I suspect the first...... happy with the logoc???????

Is your bike a male or a female. If it is a female she will continue to give you sh!t and new problems will arise out of the blue. If it is a male bike it will be happy with any sh!t ........ I suspect the first...... happy with the logoc???????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had enough of the Female bikes too,Real bitch to keep them happy.