I need 2 lists...

TheguruJ

Hi Guys

I'm new to the sport and need help with the following:

Please could somebody give me a rough breakdown of Shimano's component order. Worst to best. Eg: Alivio, then deore, then ??

Also, a list on recommended forks for doing cross country racing. For some odd reason, I just don't like the look of Suntour - am I being naive?

I see Cannondale has brought out some cheaper bike with SRAM - if you have an opinion on this, lemme know.

I need to buy a bike and only have about 8k. I'm thinking that a second hand bike with better components is my best option but I know nothing about them. At least with a recommended list from fellow hubbers, I can walk into a sale knowing what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Hell. asking hubbers for advice can be good or very dangerous, Some love shimano some hate them some love SRAM and some hate them so good luck, Dont be surprised if you ar still as confused after all the answers

Shimano road:

Sora - Tiagra - 105 - Ultegra - Dura ace

Shimano MTB:

Acera - Alivio - Deore - SLX - XT - XTR

SRAM MTB:

X3 - X4 - X5 - X7 - X9 - X0 - XX

Not really familiar with the SRAM road stuff, but if you run SRAM RED okes will look at you like you have money and a drop-dead sexy GF and a Ferrari...

Shimano road:

Sora - Tiagra - 105 - Ultegra - Dura ace

Shimano MTB:

Acera - Alivio - Deore - SLX - XT - XTR

SRAM MTB:

X3 - X4 - X5 - X7 - X9 - X0 - XX

Not really familiar with the SRAM road stuff, but if you run SRAM RED okes will look at you like you have money and a drop-dead sexy GF and a Ferrari...

SRAM Road

Rival - SRAM Force - SRAM RED

If you are looking at second hand, you may encounter some of the older Shimano range as well. LX is comparable to SLX, and slots in between Deore and XT (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

It probably took you okes 1 minute to tell me this - I've been trying to work it out for days! LOL Hopefully in a few months, I'll also be a fundi as well. Thanks guys - really appreciated.