SRAM 9sp Power Link on 10sp Chain

philip.maree

Don't know why SRAM did this but the link that comes with a SRAM 10sp chain is called a PowerLock and is not reusable. I have converted my Mountain Bike to 2x9 with XX Front Derailleur, XX Crank and a 10sp Chain. Still using my X.9 Rear Derailleur.

I used a 9sp PowerLink to join the chain after having to break the PowerLock link. It runs smoothly and shifts nicely cause of the 9sp Rear Derailleur.

So I was wondering if there is any reason not to use it like that? Obviously the link doesn't fit as snug as it would on a 9sp chain but other than that, is there any other reason that this is not advised?

They tell you a 10sp link is not removable, but I remove the 10sp link on my campag record chain with pliers. Not that difficult either.

If you get the link to fit correctly, then it shouldn't be a problem. Try to get the YBN 10sp links next time.

Don't know why SRAM did this but the link that comes with a SRAM 10sp chain is called a PowerLock and is not reusable. I have converted my Mountain Bike to 2x9 with XX Front Derailleur, XX Crank and a 10sp Chain. Still using my X.9 Rear Derailleur.

I used a 9sp PowerLink to join the chain after having to break the PowerLock link. It runs smoothly and shifts nicely cause of the 9sp Rear Derailleur.

So I was wondering if there is any reason not to use it like that? Obviously the link doesn't fit as snug as it would on a 9sp chain but other than that, is there any other reason that this is not advised?

Why not just use a 9sp chain if you converted to 2x9.....

It would be easier....

You could also have blocked your shifter and used your old front der......

On the 9sp link.... wel I think that it might just pop out while you ride (it doesnt sit as snug) And wil most probably wear out the chain at those links.....

Why not just use a 9sp chain if you converted to 2x9.....

It would be easier....

You could also have blocked your shifter and used your old front der......

On the 9sp link.... wel I think that it might just pop out while you ride (it doesnt sit as snug) And wil most probably wear out the chain at those links.....

The narrower 10sp chain just works better. I can use the whole cassette on either the front rings without it rubbing against the derailleur. I had an XT FD on there that I used prior to the XX FD but the XX FD has a smaller cage and fits closer to the chain rings. The gap was a bit big with the XT FD and the seat stays got in the way if I lowered the FD to where it should be.

They tell you a 10sp link is not removable, but I remove the 10sp link on my campag record chain with pliers. Not that difficult either.

If you get the link to fit correctly, then it shouldn't be a problem. Try to get the YBN 10sp links next time.

A few people remove their 10spd links but it is not as easy next to the road. We don't carry pliers with us. And you are right, the YBN ones work perfeclty. I use them on my 10spd chain and can remove them without any problems.

A few people remove their 10spd links but it is not as easy next to the road. We don't carry pliers with us. And you are right, the YBN ones work perfeclty. I use them on my 10spd chain and can remove them without any problems.

I ordered some YBN ones from Kiwi today. Just wanted to know if there are any adverse reasons not to ride with a 9sp link until I get the 10sp links.

Do you remove the YBN links without pliers mampara?

Luckily next to the road we usually don't need to remove link. Just add them

Do you remove the YBN links without pliers mampara?

Luckily next to the road we usually don't need to remove link. Just add them

Yip, just wiggle it loose and you can take them out.

Fair, you don't service your bike next to the road but stuff ups can happen. You maybe forget to put it through the front derailleur or you around the outside lip on the rear derailleur instead of inside.