MTB or Road bike?

fandacious

You are very cruel !! On a hybrid she will most probably spend a good 5 hours , on a real road bike very unlikely .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My GF rode her 1st Argus on a mtb with slicks. We then bought her a roadbike for her 2nd Argus and she can't stop raving about how much easier it is to ride on the road now. Road bike is more efficient on the road.. Just make sure you get one with a triple chainring, then she'll have all the gearing she needs on a light, more responsive bike.

I second the triple crank set (or compact crank set) recommendation if you are going for a road bike.  <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think i'm gonna organize a hybrid and road bike from my LBS and let her do a 5km ride on both of them. At the end she must maar decide which was overall the one she'd rather spend the better part of 5hrs on...

sounds like the best plan..

My GF rode her 1st Argus on a mtb with slicks. We then bought her a roadbike for her 2nd Argus and she can't stop raving about how much easier it is to ride on the road now. Road bike is more efficient on the road.. Just make sure you get one with a triple chainring' date=' then she'll have all the gearing she needs on a light, more responsive bike.[/quote']

yet another great idea!

For it to be apple to apple comparison you need to get hold of a performance hybrid.  The ones that are a road bike with a flat bar fitted.  You have all the pros of a road bike with a slightly more upright riding position.  Then just add some bar-ends if you feel you need a more aero position.

I agree with the other guys, stay away from the leisure/comfort hybrids.  They are not appropriate for longer rides . <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

LBS changed the bars and shifters etc. for her at no extra cost.

What? You should have gotten a refund. STI are way more expensive then flat bar changers. Even flat bars are cheaper then racing bars.

On a new bike I agree.

However this was a 2nd hand bike at a 2nd hand price.

Can't remember what shifters it had on (it was a few years ago) but was nothing fancy.

The bar & components that the LBS fitted were all new, so we were happy with the deal.

Hybrid is a waste of money !!!

Is that what they look like ?

You have never seen one, but pronounce hybrids to be a waste of money ???Confused Smile

Horses for courses...

You need to consider the riding style and/or use of the bicycle.

If you are a serious cyclist or may want to get into into more serious MTB riding later, the leisure/comfort hybrids are not be the best buy, but for others it might make sense - a do all bicycle.

You have to look at what you get for the price tag to decide if this is a worth while option.

A  "performance type" hybrid is something totally different and this is what Mrs Fandacious should consider.

mountain_lion2007-09-13 06:23:33

If you decide on a road bike, make sure you get her one with a TRIPLE chain ring!!!  It makes life so much easier and more pleasant for us girls.  We just don't have the same power in the legs especially starting up.  You get the benefit of having a nice light road bike, but you also have Granny gears to get up the hills!!!!

My first road bike was a Raleigh RC2000 (I think) with a triple chain ring and I loved it.   I now have a specialized Dolce (womens specific bike) and that also came with a triple which made me really happy. 

Also be careful if she is a beginner, I would suggest getting her normal pedals and those toe clip things to start off.  It can be a huge confidence denter if you struggle to get your feet out in the beginning.

A  "performance type" hybrid is something totally different and this is what Mrs Fandacious should consider.

and the gt zum i mentioned here awhile back is just the ticket. heck, fanboy, you're gonna want one toWink