Childs Bike

TheRookie

Hi All,

Wanna buy my son (3years old) a bicycle. Has anyone used the JD Bug Training bike that you can but from Sportsmans? It apparantly does wonders for the kids balance?

Or do I just stick to the usual bmx with training wheels?

Three years is too small for a "proper" bike. At that age they do not have the co-ord, self-preservation or strength to operate brakes.

Those two-wheelers do look like fun, but FWIW, the bikemonsterlet rode a tricycle from age three, and a JD Razor scooter from about 4, and got his first bike at age 5.

He went out and rode, no training wheels, from the day he got it.

YMMV!

JD Bug is great for kids that have low muscle tone as it forces them to balance and strengthen their core. My 5 year old still uses his, although his younger brother is officially the own now and has been using it since he was a little over 2 years old. Training wheels or even the plastic scooters have the same problem in that the kids don't need to learn to balance. Rather they balance on a JD Bug than learn to pedal poorly on a bike with training wheels.

My son - almost 4 now loves his and has done so for nearly 2 years. Its light and easy to use. I fully recommend them. We never did get the extra pedals - tried one in a shop and seemed the seat was too low (was highest it could go) for him when peddling. He also has a normal bike - 12" Avalanche max and is learning to pedal on that now - but still prefers the JD bug more.

Three years is too small for a "proper" bike. At that age they do not have the co-ord, self-preservation or strength to operate brakes.

Those two-wheelers do look like fun, but FWIW, the bikemonsterlet rode a tricycle from age three, and a JD Razor scooter from about 4, and got his first bike at age 5.

He went out and rode, no training wheels, from the day he got it.

YMMV!

My Girl is 3 i got her one of those cheap pink bikes she hated the thing, then bought her one of those black avalanches (boys bike) from sportsmans with back peddle, and she doesnt want to climb of the bike

My 2 year old has the KTM version of the JD bug and is now only just big enough for it so its going to last a while.

He loves it and is now learning to balance. He gets his speed up and then its feet off the ground. The seat is still on its lowest setting so its going to last a while. Much better IMO than a tricycle.