Sprained ankle.

Something awful has happened. I have been looking forward to the Crater Cruise all year, and today I went and sprained my ankle. I am entered for the 56 on sunday. You guys think it is doable with a sprained ankle? Will it heal enough in two days? Keep in mind that I cry easily.

I am really depressed right now. :(

There is always next year! I would not risk it on a sprained ankle. I recall reading somewhere that a sprained ankle, if not properly looked after can cause some mobility issues later on. Otherwise, strap it up...and good luck!

Maybe strap it up, and see how you go. If after a few km's its too painfull, give it up then, safe in the knowledge that you tried your best. As Mojoman said as well, it could cause problems later on though, so there is always next year. Maybe do that one thing youve been putting off for so long :unsure:

To start with you need to do the usual rest, ice, compression, elevation to it. Go for a light ride on Saturday eveining and see how it feels.

There is a risk you could make it worse, but when I sprained my ankle I had no pain at all while riding, while walking was agony. This was on the road, though. MTBing may place extra stress on the joint.

Guest teh_runnah

To confuse the issue... lately the thing is to go for MEAT, not RICE.... http://www.caringmed.../meatvsrice.asp

Not sure they intended it as an excuse to do 56km on the MTB though, more along the lines of easy does it I guess

PS: to prevent further sprains and strains it will be best to add some running to the training. It will strengthen all the support muscles and ligaments / tendons etc which are not trained whilst cycling :)

Edited by teh_runnah

To confuse the issue... lately the thing is to go for MEAT, not RICE.... http://www.caringmed.../meatvsrice.asp

Not sure they intended it as an excuse to do 56km on the MTB though, more along the lines of easy does it I guess

I thought this was to do with diet first off, eat some RICE & then strap the ankle in a steak:lol:

Thanks guys. I'll go for a ride saturday afternoon and see how it feels. My wife don't want to ride alone, and we were both looking forward to the ride.

I'll take a steak to wrap the ankle in if all else fails. :huh:

PS: to prevent further sprains and strains it will be best to add some running to the training. It will strengthen all the support muscles and ligaments / tendons etc which are not trained whilst cycling :)

Hi, that is a very interesting article! I've had/have some problems with my left knee (for a few years now) and that article makes a lot of sense. Lucky the ankle I think is mostly muscle damage, it is not very swollen or discolored. So there is hope.

I wish I could do a bit of running, but I think the knee is going to object to that. I try to walk as much as possible, for the impact training and support.