merida 96 vs spez epic marathon

wapad

having ridden both these bikes in a car park I was wondering if they are a similar ride out on the trail,

I'm inclined to think the 96 is a harder ride is this true. I'm using the Anthem 1 2008 model and looking for a new steed have started doing races but want to get into stage racing so far its between the epic alu version( pricey but proven),

the 96 ???( racy but a hard ride 2011 excellent value),

giant anthem( fair value but proven),

the ghost( good value unproven in SA but by all account a good international rating) and a

zula ( quality build, simple, heavy)

Tim. go read his question.....i dont think you understand wot he's asking you...

Wapad. the 96 is a pure race bike, and yes will give a hard ride on the trail

the rear suspension just about take the edge off things.

The spez is more comfortable, but not a razor sharp as the 96...

this opinion given cause i own both bikes.

Also think the 96 will be too racy for your needs, spez model seems more suited to long hours in the saddle.

If you like your Giant, also maybe look at the Trance. I think the 5'' with a relaxed setup would work well.

29'' wise, the new gary fisher dualies go for about 30k (alu) at Cyclelab, would also be very well suited to stage events. And Mr Mclean would very much love for you to buy one and proclaim it as the ultimate as well :P