94.7 Start times

D Vader

We are riding in the same group as last year, and yet our starting time is almost an hour later ( 54 minutes)

The heat was a real problem last year and unless the weather smiles on us this year could be even worse. Look at Van Gaalens mtb.

I take it the organisers have made the gaps between the groups bigger, but this safety reason seems to be creating other safety problems.

My wife had initially decided not to do this race when we received our start times ( she had mild heatstroke last year), we're on a tandem, and this would have cost me a lot in preparation time cycle costs etc. just because the start time was later.

The people who take a long time to finish this race will now spend even more time in the hottest part of the day.

Come on organizers!!

We love this race and I would not like to miss it in years to come.

my start time (group F) is either identical or 5 minutes slower. dont think the gaps have increased. maybe you have been bumped down because the group was too slow in previous years? - assuming you're in the social tandem group

I found a list of start times for the 2007 94.7. In that year, OF was the last group and started at 09:49 (OE at 9:45). This year, OE is the last group, starting at 10:06.

Gaps between start groups where increased by 1 minute due to congestion in the finish line. This spreads the gaps and eases the congestion.

which group are you in this year and what group last year?

Edited by mercurystorm

I think the main problem is that you are riding a Tandem. My wife and I are also riding a tandem and are also starting at 7.56am. I had the same problem as you regarding a wife that did not want to ride due to the late start.

I remember starting at 7.08am last year, but I also remember that the tandem group (T) did not start in alphabetical order and actually started after D group (or somewhere around there...)

Im still keen for a good ride despite the heat. See you there.

We're all holding thumbs for great weather. Looks like it's going to be around 27 degrees and overcast at midday.(Like all forecasts, thats likely to change)

The social tandems started at 07:33 last year and this moves to 07:54 this year, so 21 minutes later. This is due to the additional minute added to each start group to avoid congestion at the finish.

Groups (after the initial racing groups) do go in alphabetical order and start exactly on time

Lets hope its not too hot and the rain stays away.

Ride safe

Riding as a corporate bonded group and our start time is 36 minutes later than last year - 2009 @ 07h30, 2010 @ 08h06. So it looks like we are all effected.