PLZ help.. for final buy =]

ThePubSA

Hey^^

Wanting to make final decision on ht/mtb tomorrow.

have shopped around abit, but seems like same few ones keep being offered.

All these bikes range from about 4.5k-5.6ish..

They are the merida TFS 100/300 and scott aspect 20/30, also the trek 4300..

Was also wondering what is the main difference between the tfs 100/300 and the 20/30 ,is it the groupset or fork or something?, {couldnt see much diff online between them besides paint work^^} :blink:

So basically could be between the aspect 20 or tfs 300 depending on what u guys say about how much diff there is between the same series ie. the 20/30 100/300?

Plz any1 online atm with any advice plz ..

Need mtb a.s.a.p. =] :clap: :thumbup:

You should post links to specs of each bike. I doubt there is anyone who knows those bikes well but if there are links to click on then I am sure someone on here will check them out for you. Not me cos I am off to sleep.

I think I am going for Merida 96-3000 :)

Have a look at the Schwinn Moab Comp selling at most lbs for R4800. Just bought one for the GF and i don't think your going to get much better bang for your buck than that for under 5.5k. Take the extra cash left on your budget and let them immediately do the tubeless conversion and your set to go Wild for under 6k. :thumbup: (this bike also recommended as best value for money by Bicycling mag January 2011 issue http://www.bicycling.co.za/bikes-gear/guide/moab-comp-0 )

G'morning.

here's my 2c worth:

I am a novice MTB'er looking to get into the sport.

I bought a new bike in Jan. My budget was <R5k and my candidates were:

Merida TFS 100-D

Trek 3900

Serfas XC1D

Silverback Saturn

As most of the bikes are fairly similar ito specifications, I ended up going with the Merida because the bike appealed to me more than the others. A fellow hubber also mentioned that you need to get the 'coolest' bike on your shortlist, because that will get you out of bed in the morning wanting to go ride.

Good luck.

Later,

Edited by Merlin27

I was also in the market for something similar. Ended up with the Merida 100. The same frame as the 300, just diff components.

Swopped the wheelset out with a tubeless Shimano XT one.... Never looked back. Awesome entry bike

hey hubbers^^

Was away for a few days so only saw replies now..

Still looked around abit, but think iv'e made a decision.

I do prefer the merida a lil in looks to the scott.

But the aspect 20 has deore rear derailer and is 27speed,(tfs 100 - 24 speed/alivio) other then that both way about 13.5 kg , very similiar tube design, wheelsets and forks.

Practically same bike from what i can see had both side by side, and only diff was scotts paint job a lil more understated,400 bucks more but deore rear and 27speed think makes it the 1..?

Also was offered aspect 10 for 6.6k ,which threw a real spanner in my decision works.. :drool: (its is 27 speed,xt/deore derailer,Rock Shock Tora TK, remote L/O.)but cash.. <_< so was tryna make the xtra before months end.

Otherwise will prob be the aspect 20, think its till above my needs really, but the aspect 10 would be nice because less upgrades id have to make in the future.

thnx again all for replies and advice. it does help^^ :clap:

btw..anymore thoughts will be good :thumbup:

Edited by 2nutz

• 3 weeks later...

its funny how everyone wants a carbon 4" dual suspension race bike...

when, past weekend the oak Valley 24hr was won on a 14kg Giant 5" trail bike ridden by a 60yr old toppie..

And his theory..."if its not comfortable, you not gonna be on it for long."

its funny how everyone wants a carbon 4" dual suspension race bike...

when, past weekend the oak Valley 24hr was won on a 14kg Giant 5" trail bike ridden by a 60yr old toppie..

And his theory..."if its not comfortable, you not gonna be on it for long."

Important point or 2nutz will need to change his name to numbnutz. Try ride your options and see which feels better.

Take them for a test ride, its the only way to know if the bike is right fo you, components aside.