Is Mavic pathetick?

Harry Potter

Who of you hubbers ride with Mavic wheels? I would like to warn you that the service you might get from them could not be to your satisfaction. My brother in-law has Mavic kasyriums and the free body had small play on it, so he took it to LBS and they said it seems like the bearing is a bit worn out. They replaced the bearing and off he went. The following day after training he was back at the LBS, They said that they will send the wheel to Mavic so they can have a look. Day later he queries about the wheel and The LBS said that Mavic said sorry but they don’t work on wheels older than 5 years. WTF???

Who of you hubbers ride with Mavic wheels? I would like to warn you that the service you might get from them could not be to your satisfaction. My brother in-law has Mavic kasyriums and the free body had small play on it, so he took it to LBS and they said it seems like the bearing is a bit worn out. They replaced the bearing and off he went. The following day after training he was back at the LBS, They said that they will send the wheel to Mavic so they can have a look. Day later he queries about the wheel and The LBS said that Mavic said sorry but they don’t work on wheels older than 5 years. WTF???

I only ride Mavic (slr's on my mtb and Cosmics on my road bike). I hope Mavic guys see this topic so that they can do something about it. bad bad bad from their side...

Edited by wynandvdmerwe

Mavic wheels are like Swatch watches. They're meant to be used and thrown away when they start to need servicing. Do a bit of searching across the web, you'll see that almost everyone who's ever tried to send a Mavic product in for "servicing" has had to complain about something like a rebuild costing 10% less than the original product. They're mass produced, with economies of scale, so they're often not worth spending much effort/money on afterwards...

I have a set of CrossRides. A new freehub body (just the body, no pawls or anything) cost half the price of a complete new rear wheel. Next time I'll just replace the whole thing.

Feniks, get your brother in-law to contact Dragon sports, they import Mavic and he can sort it out with them directly.

That is also where the wheel would have been sent to. The story about 5 years sounds like BS to me....they can replace parts for you at least.

If they are the "sole" agents for Mavic then they MUST support the wheels.

Get you brother in-law to chat to the big boss...as we know by now in SA you have to throw you toys before you get anything done.

Edited by coenie

I bought a set of Ksyrium SSC SL's through the Hub approximately 3 years ago and these wheels have given me good service until last week. The inside of the rear hub collapsed and is irrepairable which necessitates a complete new hub.

No problem with purchasing a new rear hub through the agents, but they weren't satisfied at that. They almost demanded that I had to purchase new spokes as well, which at approx R34 a pop is frankly ridiculous.

Anyway, as the rim is after all the mileage, convex/concave, I wont be repairing it.

I Ride on Mavic's on MTB and Road.

Never a problem.

Gone through a Freehub Body on the MTB, but thats it

Service seems to have been fine up to now.