Buying a new mtn bike

Druffster

I'm in the market for a new mountain bike. I have fancied a soft tail, however my budget only permits me to buy and entry level Merida soft tail. I have been asking cyclist friends and they all say that I should rather look at a better hard tail. I will only be a weekend rider.

Here's my question...

Should I get an entry level soft tail?

OR

Should I get a carbon hard tail?

I'd appreciate your opinion and advice!

What kind of riding do you intend to do, and what sort of budget do you have?

(Sits back and waits for somebody to suggest alu hard tail, regardless of your answer.)

What kind of riding do you intend to do, and what sort of budget do you have?

(Sits back and waits for somebody to suggest alu hard tail, regardless of your answer.)

I'm going to just do cross country riding for the moment. I used to be a road cyclist, but I'm just getting into it mountain biking.

Budget is around 15k.

If u starting to do mountain bike get a hard tail to develop your skills first.

Thanks silver boy. I'm sure mountain biking is different, however I used to be a serious road cyclist and used to do motorcross and supercross etc so I do have biking skills.

2nd hand dual sus?

try loaning a bike if possible, if you are a racing snake build consider a hardtail, but if you are of the larger build and I generalise here 85kg + check out the soft tail XC 3-4" travel max any longer or you will get left behind on the hills

Also get a 26 inch before being talked into a 29er

try loaning a bike if possible, if you are a racing snake build consider a hardtail, but if you are of the larger build and I generalise here 85kg + check out the soft tail XC 3-4" travel max any longer or you will get left behind on the hills

Also get a 26 inch before being talked into a 29er

Thanks. The guy at the bile shop was trying to sell me the Merida 96 aluminum soft tail for 17k. Friends of mine suggest a better hard tail.

I weight 79kg, by the way.

da is a good buy

Thanks. The guy at the bile shop was trying to sell me the Merida 96 aluminum soft tail for 17k. Friends of mine suggest a better hard tail.

I weight 79kg, by the way.

then I would say that merida isnt a bad choice its a hard soft tail very good for cross country and they are well priced

the 96 can be locked out fully so you can get the best of both worlds

one thing is make sure the bike feels right things like a comfy saddle can make a big difference

I dont like Merida because it doesnt fit me but it could be the bike for you, if you are in two minds

The worst thing would be to buy a hard tail and after your first 2-3hr ride find you are broken

try loan a bike ...

da is a good buy

then I would say that merida isnt a bad choice its a hard soft tail very good for cross country and they are well priced

the 96 can be locked out fully so you can get the best of both worlds

one thing is make sure the bike feels right things like a comfy saddle can make a big difference

I dont like Merida because it doesnt fit me but it could be the bike for you, if you are in two minds

The worst thing would be to buy a hard tail and after your first 2-3hr ride find you are broken

try loan a bike ...

Thanks for the advice. Even if you could get a carbon hard tail would you still go for the Merida?

Another option is to visit Bikebay.co.za and have a look around, bought and sold 2 bikes there over the last 5 years and saved many RRRR's

This allows you to buy a used bike (hard tail or softtail or 29'er) ride it for a while, get feel for what you like (don't like) and then keep it or sell and upgrade it with not too much of a financial penalty.

Edited by Eraser

Go merida,value for money,I suspect u were quoted on the 96 1200,I ride a 3000 d and I'm very happy,only thing is let them swop the standard rocket rons it comes with and fit u a better set of wheels(nobby nic or racing ralph)

Thanks for the advice. Even if you could get a carbon hard tail would you still go for the Merida?

I would be inclined to go giant XTC or scott scale I think in hardtail you will get good value

be carefull about buying a seconhand carbon bike especially a hardtail

to be fair though most guys rate the Merida 96 as a hardtail/softtail

me I'm a Giant guy but nothing wrong with Merida its a very popular XC bike

the hub market doesnt seem very buoyant so there are plenty of bargains to be had, be carefull though you always want to try and ride the bike you buy

couldnt think of anything worse than getting a bargain that doesnt feel right, just to save a few

Go merida,value for money,I suspect u were quoted on the 96 1200,I ride a 3000 d and I'm very happy,only thing is let them swop the standard rocket rons it comes with and fit u a better set of wheels(nobby nic or racing ralph)

Yes it was the 1200. I have the option of buying a 2nd hand Pina FV4 (Pinarello) carbon hard tail at the same price as a new Merida 96 1200 soft tail.

What would you guys choose?

Yes it was the 1200. I have the option of buying a 2nd hand Pina FV4 (Pinarello) carbon hard tail at the same price as a new Merida 96 1200 soft tail.

What would you guys choose?

what is pina back-up service like and does it still carry a warranty

you need to compare apples with apples at this stage I would be more in interested in the components

carbon hardtail is going to have a racing geometry as opposed to a more relaxed geometry on the dualie

there are a few giant anthems on the hub, these are great bikes if you are looking second hand

And at the moment if you page back there are a few for sale prefferrably look at the 2009 onwards has abit more travel and a lighter frame in this instance I would choose the Giant hands down