Events

Coronation Double Century route access confirmed for 2016

· By Press Office · 15 comments

Eager cyclists waiting to hear about the fate of the 2016 Coronation Double Century team cycle event will be delighted to know that the 2016 edition will take place on the traditional route.

David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT), says: “A section of our traditional event route is under construction and the roads are the domain of the Provincial authorities. The road between Montagu and Ashton has been handed over to contractors with legal liability passing to them until they hand back the completed road upgrade to Province.

ccs-62657-0-87494900-1471427855.jpg

“Following extensive discussions and negotiations between ourselves as the CDC organisers, Provincial Government, the road contractors Basil Reed and local Swellendam authorities, we are very pleased to announce that we have secured access to the roads under construction for the duration of the event. We are extremely grateful to Minister Donald Grant and his team in the Provincial Department of Transport for their assistance and co-operation in facilitating the discussions that have led to the securing of the route.

“In an effort to ensure that safety of all participants is prioritised, we have had to meet and satisfy all concerns around risk mitigation and safety in taking a cycling event of this nature through a construction site.

“As such, an extended neutral zone will be implemented as a safety measure on the stretch of road between Montagu and the feed zone in Ashton. A strict speed limit will be implemented and timing mats will be deployed at the start of the construction area and the Ashton feed zone. Any cyclists exceeding the prescribed max speed through the area will receive a 30 minute time penalty for their team.”

Concluding, Bellairs advises those wishing to participate in the 24th Coronation Double Century, to acquaint themselves with the changes for this years event, as they will need to accept the conditions under which the 2016 event will be held, including the extended neutral zone which will include a 400-500m graveled section of road.”

A new entry process will kick off on Tuesday, 23 August, at 1pm and a separate press release will be distributed detailing this process.

The 24th Coronation Double Century will take place in Swellendam on Saturday, 26 November 2016 when 250 teams of up to 12 riders each will cycle 202km around the Overberg.

MEC Alan Winde, Minister of Economic Opportunities says, “Races such as the Coronation Double Century are playing an important role in boosting tourism to our region by showcasing our spectacular scenery and cycling offering. Through Project Khulisa, we are seeking to attract 100 000 cycling tourists to our region each year. It is our goal to become Africa’s cycling capital. We know these events are important economic generators for towns across this province. Events hosted across the province generate in excess of R1 billion for our economy each year.

“Confirmation of the Swellendam route is excellent news for the local tourism sector, and surrounding towns such as Montagu, Ashton, Robertson and Bonnievale. The hospitality industry in the region will once again be fully booked. We are looking forward to another spectacular race this year, backed by Coronation Fund Managers and expertly arranged by the professional team at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust”, said Winde.

The organisers have urged potential entrants to follow the event’s social media platforms via Facebook (www.facebook.com/CoronationDC) and Twitter (@TheCoronationDC) for up-to-the-minute updates.

The Coronation Double Century is a Pedal Power Association event organised by the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust on their behalf. For event-related queries, please contact the Events Office on 087 820 7223 during office hours.

Related posts

Comments

Meezo

Aug 17, 2016, 10:07 AM

oops, i was so excited to press the like button i may have pressed the report button

Pah Bear

Aug 17, 2016, 10:10 AM

Hoorah. Here we go. Going for time this year, so looking forward to taking a deserved force break on that 400-500m gravel section. LOL

milky4130

Aug 17, 2016, 10:15 AM

with 3 stops for 2016 & even with the 2 stops in the previous editions, its losing appeal. Need a race where you can go 200kms where stopping doesnt need to be compulsory & that will make it more challenging IMO of course.

Pure Savage

Aug 17, 2016, 10:27 AM

with 3 stops for 2016 & even with the 2 stops in the previous editions, its losing appeal. Need a race where you can go 200kms where stopping doesnt need to be compulsory & that will make it more challenging IMO 

Its only two stops, just one long one. and a short one.

mon-goose

Aug 17, 2016, 11:50 AM

I can just see the discussions afterwards about how many teams raced across the gravel section, bet it'll make 50 pages. The gravel walking / running section will favour those with the running skills of Froome.

Pure Savage

Aug 17, 2016, 12:26 PM

I can just see the discussions afterwards about how many teams raced across the gravel section, bet it'll make 50 pages. The gravel walking / running section will favour those with the running skills of Froome.

Its a neutral zone, like the stops, so your time stops at Montagu, starts the other side of Ashton after the stop. You do not gain anything be speeding through the neutral zone.

z@z@

Aug 17, 2016, 12:50 PM

oops, i was so excited to press the like button i may have pressed the report button

excited for that sub 6 hey 

Meezo

Aug 17, 2016, 12:53 PM

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Pure Savage

Aug 17, 2016, 12:57 PM

With so much neutral zone, a sub 5 is the new sub 6

z@z@

Aug 17, 2016, 1:30 PM

:huh: :huh: :huh:

to infinity and beyond 

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Aug 17, 2016, 7:18 PM

Guys, please help me. We're not entering a team this year thus leaving me stranded. I am fit and and looking for a team to join to ride a time of between 6 - 6.15.( this time based on last years route) Please let me know if there's a team looking for a commiited team member. I can train on my own a join the team in Swellies. Thanks a lot

Malpiet

Aug 17, 2016, 8:57 PM

to infinity and beyond

meezo rode last year for you guys, we can borrow him this year since you got one of our ex-rider.

Mongoose!

Aug 18, 2016, 3:28 AM

Guys, please help me. We're not entering a team this year thus leaving me stranded. I am fit and and looking for a team to join to ride a time of between 6 - 6.15.( this time based on last years route) Please let me know if there's a team looking for a commiited team member. I can train on my own a join the team in Swellies. My cell is 0826598536. Thanks a lot

We should enter a "Hub team" riding with Bikehub kit...

Can look on Racetec if applicants for the team is as good as they say they are...lol

Training can be done together on Zwift.

I got dropped by my team last year on the middle of the "three piglets, but still managed to finished

just under under 6 hours.

So Gerhard and I. Who else is keen?

Meezo

Aug 18, 2016, 1:51 PM

Guys, please help me. We're not entering a team this year thus leaving me stranded. I am fit and and looking for a team to join to ride a time of between 6 - 6.15.( this time based on last years route) Please let me know if there's a team looking for a commiited team member. I can train on my own a join the team in Swellies. My cell is 0826598536. Thanks a lot

LOL, i've done this before :ph34r:

Velouria

Aug 18, 2016, 2:13 PM

LOL, i've done this before :ph34r:

We do that every year - our first training ride together is the roll down to the start line!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment