Tech

Specialized launch the Tero, an everyday eMTB hardtail

Supplied by Specialized.

· By Press Office · 9 comments

Over the past year, millions around the world have turned to the bicycle for the physical, emotional, and practical benefits it provides. It’s the enhanced freedom, speed, joy, and convenience that are unlocked by the electric bike that positions it to be the most popular electric vehicle over the next decade. But to empower more everyday rides, we knew we had to conquer some pretty massive barriers, like riding together with cars, bike theft, and on-bike storage.

Specialized Tero 1.jpg

Specialized Tero 2.jpg
Specialized Tero 4.jpg
Specialized Tero 3.jpg

Tero is designed as an electric mountain bike first, with the added capability for touring, hauling, and commuting. Tero combines adaptable utility with Specialized’s World Champion mountain bike DNA and category-leading electric pedal assist.

Powered by Specialized’s fully integrated Turbo Full Power 2.2 motor and 710Wh battery, the Tero amplifies rider power to make short work of the steepest climbs and to carry gear, groceries, kids, and daydreams alike. The Tero’s ultra-strong chassis is built to hold up to 27 kg of extra cargo and is child-seat ready and approved. Additionally, Tero’s rear axle is trailer compatible and ready for heavy-duty hauling.

Tero’s new fully integrated and smart system is Specialized’s smoothest, quietest, most powerful, and most secure ride to date. Ready for the trail, Tero features a front suspension fork to smooth out rough terrain and is set up with Specialized Ground Control tires for traction across dirt, gravel, or pavement. Tero’s comfortable, upright position places the rider between the wheels for optimum control, resulting in balanced, confidence-inspiring handling.

We’ve designed a bike that provides full power assist for alpine escapes and off-road adventures, while also allowing riders to come home, quickly wipe the mud off, and be ready to commute into town for a grocery run or date night. Dominik Geyer, Head of Specialized Turbo Business

DSC_4003.jpg

TEROD2 Proof 228.jpg

Launching with Tero is Specialized’s all-new Turbo System Lock. Utilizing the Mission Control app, riders can disable their bike’s motor and activate a motion sensor alarm. Once locked, the motor cannot be enabled again except by the owner.

The overall functionality of Tero, along with all the latest Turbo e-Bikes from Specialized, will continue to improve over time thanks to over-the-air software updates, with additional safety and security features rolling out in the near future.

Designed in California and engineered in Switzerland, the new Tero is built from the ground up by Specialized with decades of expert engineering, world-class design, and new features over time through software. 

Local Availability
Stock of Specialized Tero 3.0 will be available in stores in the next few days. This model is set to retail for around R60,000.
Tags:

Related posts

Comments

ChrisF

Sep 21, 2021, 4:15 PM

At that price point it may well steal customers from various other brands ....

Now to see the specs it is delivered with ....

ACE Cycles

Sep 21, 2021, 4:32 PM

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Definitely a very attractive and competitive price point

Hilton.

Sep 22, 2021, 11:28 AM

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

100%. Around the price of the new Titan E-bike hardtails.

I haven't compared the specs yet, but I suspect there may slightly lower spec here with the Big S than the equivalently-priced Titan.

Headshot

Sep 22, 2021, 12:28 PM

Fork looks dodgy. R60k only seems good value because bike prices are ludicrous in general....

ChrisF

Sep 22, 2021, 12:48 PM

10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Fork looks dodgy. R60k only seems good value because bike prices are ludicrous in general....

In terms of ebikes, the vast majority of hardtail options are now in the R50k+ range.  Even some "new entrants" to our market is now in the mid 50's.

So on a budget level the Specialized seems agressively priced.

SPECS ... this is going to be the interesting part to check bike by bike ....  Sadly, based on the R90k Levo's I expect very basic specs on this bike .... HOPE I am proved wrong.

Back to pricing .... the cost of a second battery really should be considered .....  R5k for some brands with smaller footprint in SA, in excess of R20k for a Specialized battery.

Personally .... the rear drive train will be the decider for me.  Rather a basic and rugged Deore type setup, but never a NS or SX on an ebike.  In fact THIS swayed my final selection when I bought my ebike.  I had to choose between XT or NS.  I did not want to spend ebike type money, to spend another wack of cash getting the drive train sorted.

Hilton.

Sep 23, 2021, 7:15 AM

18 hours ago, ChrisF said:

...Personally .... the rear drive train will be the decider for me.  Rather a basic and rugged Deore type setup, but never a NS or SX on an ebike...

Then you're not going to be happy with this Spez:

The Tero 3.0 seems to be specced with Alivio 9 speed, according to international sites ☹️  The pics above are of the higher-end 5.0 model.

ChrisF

Sep 23, 2021, 7:27 AM

10 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Then you're not going to be happy with this Spez:

The Tero 3.0 seems to be specced with Alivio 9 speed, according to international sites ☹️  The pics above are of the higher-end 5.0 model.

Even Alivio is way better than entry level sram :thumbup:

And for "ordinary use", as per their launch angle, a 9 speed is sufficient on an ebike.

Hilton.

Sep 23, 2021, 8:06 AM

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Even Alivio is way better than entry level sram :thumbup:

And for "ordinary use", as per their launch angle, a 9 speed is sufficient on an ebike.

Ok, I get that. I have nothing against lower-end Shimano. Used to use that for years myself.

But on a R60k bike, how much extra would it have cost to spec 12 spd Deore instead? As OEM with buying power, wouldn't it add about R4k vs the Alivio spec?
I know they're trying to hit a price point, but it always makes me think, regarding relative pricing, if you're paying R60k already, the extra spec you can get for a little more... 
(this isn't a R20k Signal basic hardtail)

eala

Sep 23, 2021, 9:49 AM

On 9/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, ChrisF said:

JIP !

Add a comment

You must log in to comment