To service or not to service, who knows

NeoDymium

I recelntly sent in my bike for a service at what i thought to be a reliable bike shop. I was quoted on a standard service and specifically asked that if they find anything else that needs attention, they call me first and check if they can do it. Obviously i also want know what this extra repair would cost before i commit myself to it.

Needless to say, not only was i not contacted BUT stuff i never asked for were repaired and i had to at the end of the day pay for it in order to get my bike back because if they did not fix it, my bike would have broken into 50 pieces the next time i went for a ride.....

Today a friend of mine phoned me with a similar story, not only did a standard bike service set him back R1600 but when he was quoted initially, the price he was quoted EXCLUDED vat...this offcourse sent the charge sky high once vat was added.

Now, here are my questions and comments:

1. If i had to teach myself to service my own bike, how would that impact on the warranty that comes with most of the components.

2. How can bike shops just get away with not being upfront when it comes to the actual price you are going to pay at the end of the day and how does one put an end to it because it happens at MANY bike shops...

3. Surely i would be saving a fortune because at the end of the day i will only be paying for the parts i need and WANT to replace at that given time.

4. Where can one find the best and most accurate tips on servising bikes and components.

Im tired of being taken for a "ride" NO MORE !!!!

1. Your part is more likely to die of wear and tear before being a factory fault. So who cares, fix it yourself.

2. Its called doing business the South African way, it will never change but new laws are on their way to make it easier for us to get back at the shops.

3. Nothing else to say as its 100% true

4. The Hub for one, Bike Tutor for videos, books like Bike Repair for Dummies (actually a really good book), Park Tool Blue Book (next on my list) and a course with Yellow Saddle.

I service my own bike and the secret is to ask questions on the Hub, check the videos at Bike Tutor and buy your tools only when you need them. Its not just about the cash you save, but you get to understand your bike better. You will know when its not shifting properly, or your brakes need adjustment, etc

Also remember that prevention is the cure so also wash & lube your bike properly.

And the tools get expensive if you go for like the Pedros and parktool stuff...

Actually I've been surprised at how affordable Park Tool is in South Africa. I bought a PRO cassette remover only to see later that at the same LBS I could have gone Park Tool for R20 more.

But not all your tools need to be branded, its just bragging rights if they are Park Tool blue :)

Today a friend of mine phoned me with a similar story, not only did a standard bike service set him back R1600 but when he was quoted initially, the price he was quoted EXCLUDED vat...this offcourse sent the charge sky high once vat was added.

As far as I know, it's illegal for a shop to quote a price to a consumer and exclude the VAT.

2. How can bike shops just get away with not being upfront when it comes to the actual price you are going to pay at the end of the day and how does one put an end to it because it happens at MANY bike shops...

It will be illegal to do this from the beginning of next month when the Consumer Protection Act comes into effect.

Point 1. Don't think so. From comments on the hub, people get enough trouble on warranties at the best of times ;-).

Point 2. No comment.

Point 3. You save a huge fortune (esp at R1600/pop). Unless you get into the upgrade path like me, in which case it gets expensive again. But in 3 years, my service costs have been 1 brake bleed, but I now have the service kit for even that. If you disassemble with care, and research each topic before you tackle it how bad can things get ? Don't quote me on that though. Seriously though, if you buy and borrow the right tools, even mechanical dunces can get most stuff done. Eg. my biggest task to date was a full stripdown, BB and pivot bearing & bush change of my full-sus. Took some evening time, but its more rewarding than watching junk on the box.

Point 4. Google is your friend. TheHUBSA, MTBR.Com for text, bicycletutor for the vids. JB offers good courses too.

As far as I know, it's illegal for a shop to quote a price to a consumer and exclude the VAT

Its legal if he was told ex-VAT at the time of the quote. Also a written quote must state ex-VAT and have a valid VAT number on the quote if VAT is still to be charged.

Its a practice I hate and I say "Name & Shame"

EDIT: I also checked the Act and it states that an ex-VAT amount may not have more impact on the quote as a VAT inclusive amount.

I also use to work for someone that was not the most ethical person I know and he was very clued up on what was possible.

I've only got 2 words to add to the OP:

Johan Bornman

Contact him...all your servicing troubles will be over!

PS: Troll the tech Q&A section...he sometimes lurkes there... :D :D

Wow, must say the support for DIY is amazing and i think i am going to give it a go...

Thanks for the advise you guys have given, im sure we will be chatting more often...especially if i cant remeber what goes where, hehehe....

how is this for a service....sent my fork in at a certain bikeshop here in randburg as it was leaking oil...

last week took my bike back to another shop as I am gatvol for the *** sercive from these guys. yesterday the new shop phones me just to tell me that the previous shop who serviced my bike had inserted the wrong oil and grease on my fork. This will now cost a R1000 to get repaired for a second time in a few months. Also asked them to replace worn bearings, after 2 months bearings have to be replaced again...come on...thats pathetic.....

think this bike shop's mechanics need a basic course on MECHANICS :thumbdown:

I only take in my road bike for its major service, nothing close to R1600 though!, costs me R270.

how is this for a service....sent my fork in at a certain bikeshop here in randburg as it was leaking oil...

last week took my bike back to another shop as I am gatvol for the *** sercive from these guys. yesterday the new shop phones me just to tell me that the previous shop who serviced my bike had inserted the wrong oil and grease on my fork. This will now cost a R1000 to get repaired for a second time in a few months. Also asked them to replace worn bearings, after 2 months bearings have to be replaced again...come on...thats pathetic.....

think this bike shop's mechanics need a basic course on MECHANICS :thumbdown:

What does said bike store say when you question them?

The new consumer protection act will go a long way to cleaning out dubious practises like this.

For RETAIL sales (ie) to the general public, its common to quote VAT INCLUSIVE, although it may not be illegal to quote Vat Exclusive the customer HAS to be made aware it is VAT EXCLUDED at the time of the quote. Failing to do so is misleading the customer and would be seriously frowned upon if it ever got into a legal dispute.

If the client is a Vat Vendor then its common to quote VAT EXCLUDED as the customer will claim that Vat back anyway.

With the new CPA coming into force at month end, a supplier will have to get your consent before doing any extra work or be in contravention of the act.

You will need a workshop stand

Do not buy one with a scale, never buy a scale!!!!! It is a slippery slope when you start weighing stuff :o