Steering problems

NeoDymium

Hi Hubbers,

I need some advise, my steering feels stiff and i dont know why. when i pick the front of the bike up and swing the handle bar from side to side, it moves with effort (not sure if this is making sense...)

I think that the top tube is dirty perhaps but not 100% sure. If so, how do i clean it? do i have to take it all appart and clean or would a simple wash do the trick? i do wash my bike after every ride so im not sure what it could be...

Please help...

Your headset is too tight. Take it to a shop so they can set it properly. If you do not know this then I would not suggest trying to fix it yourself. Ask them to show you how.

Your headset is too tight. Take it to a shop so they can set it properly. If you do not know this then I would not suggest trying to fix it yourself. Ask them to show you how.

Im not sure though. I have never even touched the headset and neither has anybody else, i only picked up on this this morning, it was perfect on monday when i went for a ride and its been perfect every time before that...stange...

Hi Hubbers,

I need some advise, my steering feels stiff and i dont know why. when i pick the front of the bike up and swing the handle bar from side to side, it moves with effort (not sure if this is making sense...)

I think that the top tube is dirty perhaps but not 100% sure. If so, how do i clean it? do i have to take it all appart and clean or would a simple wash do the trick? i do wash my bike after every ride so im not sure what it could be...

Please help...

Just clear this up: Toptube or headset or headtube?

Only take it apart if you know how to properly set the headset after you're done.

Just clear this up: Toptube or headset or headtube?

Only take it apart if you know how to properly set the headset after you're done.

I think its the top tube...if i pick up my front wheel and i swing the handle bar from one side to the other, it feels stiff, resistent...

With my limited knowledge I would guess you have got bearings that are starting to run dry.

Take the bike to your lbs for a service before something more serious gets hurt.

Have no idea what a service costs in Pretoria but in Cape Town you can get away with R350 for a full strip and rebuild.

Top tube is the tube running between the seatpost and the headtube(through which your fork goes). This being dirty will only make your bike look dirty. It won't have any effect on the steering.

Problem is probably what schinn lover or the break said.

The underside of the headtube could also be dirty from dust/sand/mud flying in from your front wheel

With my limited knowledge I would guess you have got bearings that are starting to run dry.

Take the bike to your lbs for a service before something more serious gets hurt.

Have no idea what a service costs in Pretoria but in Cape Town you can get away with R350 for a full strip and rebuild.

Wow...how i wish i was living in CT right now...that is dirt cheap!!! thanks for the advise anyways...