hub measurement

FLYIT

how do you measure a hub,i see there are differant sizes as in 13mm 15mm 20 mm

what do these measurements refer to

how do you measure a hub,i see there are differant sizes as in 13mm 15mm 20 mm

what do these measurements refer to

FlyIT

There are a number of measures to a hub.

There are High and Low flange hubs. The flange being the raised area on the hub shell through which the spokes are threaded/fixed.

High flange hubs are usually either 'low end' (cheap) hubs, or hubs for DH and Freeride.

Low flange hubs are found on most of the high end XC components.

Front hub widths are either 100mm XC or 110mm, usually for DH/FR Forks

Rear Hub widths 135, for 7-9 speed XC and 135 0r 150 for DH/FR bike

For QR axles, there is usually an additional 5.5mm either side of the hub width for slotting into the dropouts.

Axle diameters vary: 9mm for most MTB dropouts, although 10, 15 and 20mm QR through axles are now becoming popular. Your bike needs to be able to accommodate those specific diameters though. Alternatively, some of the hub manufacturers provide adapters that allow you to fit a 15mm axle hub to a 9mm dropout.

Measure the dropout widths on your bike, as well as the distance between inside rear, and inside front fork.

They also come in cup and cone (ball bearings held in place by machined cone - serviceable) and sealed bearing hubs (more hard wearing - replace the bearing to service)

Good luck

Edited by The Drongo

thanks for the reply ,i have a mate going on a business trip t london so i thought he could bring me a set of hope 2 hubs just scared i order the wrong thing