Replacing bearings to Seat Stay and Shock link

River Rat

I have being trying to cure an irritating creaking sound which I believe is coming from a worn bearing where the seat stay joins with the shock link.I have opened it up and I notice that the bearing ain't turning so smoothly.

It is a Cannondale Rize 5 and the technical info says that the bearings are not press fit but are installed using Loctite but can be driven out with a dowel. Is this a DIY job? (Just thinking about some uncaring LBS mechanic doing this gives me cold shivers) and do I have to buy the bearing kit from Cannondale or is there a clever alternative?

I assume you mean the bearing feels notchy ?

A slightly less impactful way than hammering a dowel at the bearings should be a bearing press. Which are stupidly expensive. I managed my Opus Stakh bearing change with a G-Clamp pushing onto suitable sized socket heads to push them out. You do need three hands though and it takes a long time, slow & steady.

Bearings: I looked at the codes on the seals and phoned up Bearingman, no problems, just do some research on what seal type you need/prefer. I stripped my frame a month back, and the new bearings (NTN - Japanese) have handled more km's & crud than the originals did and are still in great nic.

@Patham - you've got it! It has a sort of stop start feeling to it ( rather like my training regime!). I like your G clamp idea I'll give it a try.

As for the bearings how do you size them? Would I have to remove them to do this?

The cartridge bearing should have a code on the rubber seal that is barely visible, something like 6900 2RS, use a torch to intruduce some bright light & contrasts.

I checked the code against online bearing shop listings (www.vxb.com) which gives true sizes (so you can double check dimensions) before you order. You can also buy from them if you are a fan of online shopping.

The (i'm guessing here for your bike) 2RS part of the code is the seal type, i.e. 2 x Rubber seals. You can replace with an identical 2RS code: I ventured into unknown territory by going with an LLU seal bearing, a combo of steel and rubber seal. This is claimed to be excellent against dust & water, and has seemed to live up to that. Just do not go for a ZZ seal - a metal seal only which has no dust or waterprofing.

No Problem. Your statement about uncaring LBS's possibly taking shortcuts here was very valid. After I've done it, I know how much finicky work is involved, and no way am I letting someone else attempt it. Good luck.

hey Patham,

Post what bearings u used when u done. I have a Rize 4 which i'll have to do sometime.

Thanx boet