Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Annual permits are now available from Cyclosport in Kuilsriver and Masons Bike Inn in Stellenbosch. Remember that they are valid from now on, you don't have to wait till 1st Jan 2012.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has taken a long time negotiating with landowners and getting the layout and route marking done for the latest addition to Bottelary Hills MTB Trails. The new section of trail passes over 4 farms and adds another 6km to the trail. Overgaauw Wine Estate is now a new starting/exit point. Day permits can be obtained there from 08h30 - 17h00 during the week, from 06h00 - 12h30 on Saturdays and 06h00 - 09h00 on Sundays. We can't stress enough how important it is to wear an armband for day permits or display a bikeboard on your handlebars if you are an annual permit holder. Landowners are looking out for that.

The purple loop has been split and extended to include a "Long Purple Loop" which takes you up and over the hill to "Ribbok Run" singletrack. You then have the option to return to either Middelvlei or Overgaauw or to continue with the Red Route.

This opens up a whole lot of new route options for guys starting from either Middelvlei or Overgaauw. Before there wasn't a way back if you continued with the Red Route beyond the purple loop.

Where the link from Overgaauw joins the red/purple loops you also have the option to return to the yellow loop and Middelvlei. In other words you could start at Middelvlei and exit at Overgaauw to return via the tar road or cycle to Overgaauw on tar, do the yellow loop from there and exit at Middelvlei.

Riders can now access the singletrack in the forest from Overgaauw or Middelvlei and return without having to do the entire Red Route.

All the signage is up so its ready to ride.

post-19597-0-41616100-1324107532.jpg

Edited by Hellwarp

I did the Green loop last Thursday entering from Zevenwacht side...signage was good, but I missed the trail route twice(I think this is not due to the signage, but rather me being a newbie on trails)...

First was taking the left to join the green loop after the nasty climb with no signage at the top so I went down and checked the board and had to do the climb again :D

Second was I think where the owner is cultivating the land, I went straight and saw no signage at the bottom and assumed this was the cultivation section and went right as this is the only way to go and this connected with the route...

All in all a great trail with nice single-track, I just need to build on the confidence to do them faster...

Hey Hearts

At the top of the Zevenwacht climb there should be a sign next to the small bridge directing you across and left onto the Green Loop.

Will check out the route marking you describing, the "cultivated land" one bugs me a bit as the route markers are often removed when the farmers work a land. We slowly but surely upgrading all the route marking but the ground is so hard and dry at the moment that it takes forever to dig a hole to plant a pole.

The initial marking simply hasn't got the longevity required and is a maintenance headache. But we'll get there, eventually.

Hi Hellwarp.

The Zevenwacht climb confusion was actually before the bridge, the bridge signage was fine.

It is the climb just before that, when you get to the top the road only goes to the left and then right towards the bridge...There was no signage at that point to indicate you are still on the route and to continue left and then right, but I assumed the assumption is the route can only go that way I guess. Like I said I'm a newbie on trails so that could be the problem...

Went and had a look yesterday evening and saw the signs were still there. The section you mention doesn't have any signage as you meant to just follow the road. If you went any other way you would be cycling through a vineyard.

It has taken a long time negotiating with landowners and getting the layout and route marking done for the latest addition to Bottelary Hills MTB Trails.

<snip>

All the signage is up so its ready to ride.

Wow, this is great news!

So many options available now; you can really mix and match.

Much appreciated Hellwarp.

A big thank you to you and all the land owners! :clap: :clap: :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody advise whether the trails will be open at 08h00 on the 2nd of Jan starting at The Only One Restaurant?

Planning on doing orange, red and green. Too much for an easy 4-hour outing?

Can anybody advise whether the trails will be open at 08h00 on the 2nd of Jan starting at The Only One Restaurant?

Planning on doing orange, red and green. Too much for an easy 4-hour outing?

I'm riding there tomorrow as well. Should be there at about the same time as yourself :thumbup: I couldn't find anything on the Bottlelary website to say it was closed, was hoping to be there before 8am to ride.

I'm riding there tomorrow as well. Should be there at about the same time as yourself :thumbup: I couldn't find anything on the Bottlelary website to say it was closed, was hoping to be there before 8am to ride.

We've just decided (my wife, brother-in-law and myself) to start at 08h30 from The Only One. Either see you on the trails or in the car park. We're more on a fun ride than training ride and taking it very easy. I'm on an orange Giant 26 susser.

We've just decided (my wife, brother-in-law and myself) to start at 08h30 from The Only One. Either see you on the trails or in the car park. We're more on a fun ride than training ride and taking it very easy. I'm on an orange Giant 26 susser.

Also got the wife with me, she will be testing out her new wheels I got her for xmas :) . So it will be more of a scenic ride then a training ride. Only reason I wanted to go earlier is that its been getting stinking hot so early. I'll be on a white Giant Trance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

We've made an addition to the Green Loop called the "Long Green Loop". It extends the existing green loop and by taking this option you add another 5.7km to your ride. So if you only doing the green loop and take the "Long Green Loop" option you will end up around 22km total distance. Also adds another 270m of climbing.

It is however a very worthwhile addition and is a stunning piece of trail including 1.5km of forested singletrack which is part of the Red Route. There is a very nice piece of jeeptrack we wanted to make more accesable and we wanted to make it easier for riders from the green route to access Ribbok Run singletrack.

The route signage is up so there's something new for the weekend.

post-19597-0-75777000-1327658687.jpg

Riders from Middelvlei or Overgaauw can also make use of the Long Green as another distance option. By exiting the Red Route they can return to start via the Long Green which links up to Long Purple.

post-19597-0-49859600-1327661127.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I did the green route Tuesday, it was quite difficult in the sandy dry conditions...I was a bit scared of the longer green loop, will try it next time, I really enjoy this trail...How does this route compare to the others i.t.o difficulty?