Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it safe to assume that bottelary trails are all easily done with hardtail?

Or are any trails black trails where dual sus is better? 

Prefer not to be overbiked

20 minutes ago, MajG said:

Is it safe to assume that bottelary trails are all easily done with hardtail?

Or are any trails black trails where dual sus is better? 

Prefer not to be overbiked

Hardtail is perfect. The blue route is a bit more technical, but also more than doable on a hardtail. 

40 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Hardtail is perfect. The blue route is a bit more technical, but also more than doable on a hardtail. 

Thanks for the info

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up. If you want to park at Hazendal to ride Bottelary Hills, you may not enter Hazendal before 8am. This morning a few of us were there and we managed to get in at 7:40, but on condition that we didn't start riding before 8. Other members of our group that arrived a few minutes after we went in had to wait outside. A security guy on a 3 wheeler even came to us while we were waiting inside at the cars to tell us the same thing.
I don't understand the logic of this because all we do is ride from the cars, out the gate and return a few hours later. So in future we will just park somewhere else at a time that suits us and have post ride drinks and snacks at the new place.

5 minutes ago, HenryS said:

Just a heads up. If you want to park at Hazendal to ride Bottelary Hills, you may not enter Hazendal before 8am. This morning a few of us were there and we managed to get in at 7:40, but on condition that we didn't start riding before 8. Other members of our group that arrived a few minutes after we went in had to wait outside. A security guy on a 3 wheeler even came to us while we were waiting inside at the cars to tell us the same thing.
I don't understand the logic of this because all we do is ride from the cars, out the gate and return a few hours later. So in future we will just park somewhere else at a time that suits us and have post ride drinks and snacks at the new place.

You could park at Devonvale Golf Estate and start from there perhaps. Ride the 10km on Bottelary Rd to the entrance opposite Haasendal and then have a few beers at the golf club afterwards at the halfway house. Or join the trails at Devonvale, although I dont like that starting point. I know Devonvale is looking to attract the cyclists. Lucky for me I live 5mins from the Haasendal entrance 😛

• 7 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, JayLow said:

Just saw this post about the Winelands regional board:

Can we expect BHRC to broker a similar deal with Winelands? Hope so!! 

I guess dreams do come true: 

2 hours ago, JayLow said:

Launching 1 December - Wine Lands Trails launches #theultimatepermit
1300 kilometres of trails access under 1 permit.

The full offering for 2023 now includes:

A-Z Grabouw, Banhoek Conservancy, Boschendal trails, Bottelary Hills Conservancy trails, Elgin Valley trails, Franschhoek trails, Fruitways Farms trails, Grabouw trails, Helderberg trails, MTO Jonkershoek trails, Oak Valley trails, Paarl Trails, Plaisir trails, Stellenbosch Trail Fund trails, Van Loveren trails, Wellington trails (Wild Boar & Scouts) and Wine Lands Cycling Club trails.

https://mtbroutes.co.za/news/wine-lands-trails-launches-theultimatepermit/

This is great!

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 04 December round 11am I picked up a asthma pump on the red section just after part one of Kaapzicht Killer. Near the bottom of the first downhill before you get the right turn. I saw the cartridge alongside the road and then found the housing a few meters further in the vineyards.
If someone lost their pump you can let me know.

Pump.jpg

Pump1.jpeg

Pump2.jpeg

• 11 months later...